[dehai-news] (SunaTimes) Somalia: U-20 off to Eritrea for CECAFA Tourney

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2010 - 08:07:02 EDT

http://www.sunatimes.com/view.php?id=315

 Somalia: U-20 off to Eritrea for CECAFA Tourney Published On: Friday,
August, 13 2010

Somalia will have its first match against Sudan on Sunday 15th of August

The Somali National U-20 football team on Wednesday left for Eritrea for
this year’s CECAFA tourney. Since Somalia and Eritrea have no flight
connections, the team will be transit in Nairobi before flying to Asmara on
midnight on Wednesday.

Somali football Federation President Said Mahmoud Nur, First vice president
Ali Said Guled Roble, secretary General Abdi Qani Said Arab and other high
level officials have seen off the national team at Mogadishu’s Aden Adde
International airport.

The team has been under going daily training sessions for the past five
weeks and its coach Awil Osman Mohamed Says he has high hopes.

At least, nine countries including Yemen are taking part in this year’s
CECAFA competition from which Djibouti and Ethiopia are missing.

According to the fixtures issued by the council of East and Central African
football Associations (CECAFA) Somalia is in Group A with Sudan, Kenya,
Eritrea and Tanzania.
Somalia will have its first match against Sudan on Sunday 15th of August.

“We would like to assure all our members that the CECAFA, the Eritrea FA and
the Government of Eritrea are working very closely to ensu0re we deliver a
successful competition” the regional football governing body secretary
General Nicholas Musonye said in a press statement this week.

He said that the tournament will coast about one million US dollars and
prize money of US 18000 will be shared among top three winners as follows:
· winners: US$ 10,000
· second: US$ 5,000
· third : US$ 3,000
The tourney is slated in Asmara, Eritrea 14th-28th of August 2010.
Somali Football Media Department
+25250 930226 Telephone office
+2521 600 601 Fax