[dehai-news] Garoweonline.com: Lawmakers, military officers accuse TFG leaders of incompetence

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2010 - 09:49:41 EDT

Lawmakers, military officers accuse TFG leaders of incompetence
12 Aug, 2010 - 2:27:32 PM

Lawmakers and officers from Somali Transitional Federal Government (TFG)
accused the leaders of the government for failing to restore peace and
stability in the country, they said the government controls only few parts
of Mogadishu, Radio Garowe reports.

Col. Mohamed Warsame one of the government troops commanders said the
government takes daily taxes from the airport and seaport and they don't
give salaries to the government troops. Warsame appealed to the government
to stop taking tax from the sea and airport.

"The government seems to have failed in executing its job, especially the
security because large areas of the country are under control of Hizbul
Islam and Al-Shabaab rebel militias," said Col. Warsame.

Ibraahim Yarowoo, a Somali lawmaker lambasted the government for diverting
resources that would have helped in restoring peace and security in the
country.

"I believe the government leaders have failed to stabilise the country, we
don't know how the government spends the funds they get from the donors and
taxes from the sea and airport," said lawmaker Yarow.

Ahmed Diriye, a clan elder who attended the meeting urged the current Somali
government leaders to step down and pave the way for capable leaders to lead
the country.

 "I am urging Somali President, Prime Minister and Speaker to resign because
the government has failed in its job, I believe they should pave the way for
other people who can do the job,"

They were all speaking at a conference in Mogadishu where lawmakers,
officers and elders were discussing the security of the few districts in the
capital that the government controls.

The embattled TFG is faced with powerful insurgent groups that are
determined to overthrow it and subject the country to harsh Islamic Sharia.