[dehai-news] RFI.fr: Sudan - exclusive interview - South Sudan will not break away unilaterally, says regional president

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2010 - 17:11:09 EDT

Sudan - exclusive interview - South Sudan will not break away unilaterally,
says regional president

Salva Kiir waits to meet Sudanese opposition leaders in Khartoum

Reuters

By RFI <http://www.english.rfi.fr/auteur/rfi>

Article published the Thursday 29 July 2010 - Latest update : Thursday 29
July 2010

Listen

Exclusive interview - South Sudan President Salva Kiir

 Listen Radio: http://www.english.rfi.fr/aef_player_popup/rfi_player#

by Miles Ashdown

The regional president of South Sudan, Salva Kiir, denies he is considering
unilaterally splitting away from Sudan and says southerners will work within
the comprehensive peace agreement (CPA) signed in 2005. In an exclusive
interview in Juba, Kiir told RFI a breakaway is not on the cards.

"I don't think there will be a point where southerners will declare a
unilateral independence," he says. "It's not on our agenda and we don't
think there will be a condition that will force us to declare an independent
southern Sudan without the process that we have agreed upon."

The CPA
<http://www.cmi.no/sudan/?id=108&Comprehensive-Peace-Agreement-%28CPA%29>
is less than six months away from completion, with an independence
referendum scheduled for January 2011.

But humanitarian groups are warning
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Sudan> that South Sudan is alarmingly
unprepared for the referendum. Kiir says he hopes the referendum will be
conducted according to the agreement he signed.

The leader of the former rebel group, the Sudan People's Liberation movement
(SPLM), also offered to mediate between the Sudanese government and the
holdout rebels in Darfur, an SPLM official Yasser Arman told reporters in
Khartoum on Wednesday.

However, Kiir also accused Sudanese president Omar el-Beshir of supporting
the rebels of the <http://213.139.108.166/actuen/pages/001/page_40.asp>
Lord's Resistance Army which has been active in several neighbouring
countries including Sudan.

"These are terrorists, and they are doing all these things to terrorise the
civilian population. And there are people who are sending them," he says.
Al-Beshir "was the one supporting here when they were in Juba, and who is
still supporting them".