[dehai-news] VOA: AU Prepares 'Determined' Response to al-Shabab After Kampala Bombs

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2010 - 06:56:56 EDT

AU Prepares 'Determined' Response to al-Shabab After Kampala Bombs

Peter Heinlein | Kampala 24 July 2010

A somewhat subdued celebration is underway in the Ugandan capital, Kampala
as Africa's leaders gather for a summit two weeks after suicide bombers
struck the city, killing 76 people. Our correspondent reports Africa's
leaders are determined to give a forceful response to the Somali insurgent
group that claimed responsibility for the bombings.

'The show must go on'. Those words from Master of Ceremonies Jeff Koinange
brought scattered applause from nervous summit participants at the launch of
a new Program for Infrastructure Development in Africa.

PIDA, as it is known, is a long-range project to correct the infrastructure
deficiencies that hamper trade among African countries, making many goods
and services unaffordable or unavailable on the continent. As an example,
Koinange noted the cost of a phone call from Africa to the United States is
often cheaper than a call from one African country to another.

"The cost of telephone within Africa are ridiculously high," said Jeff
Koinange. "Probably three, four, five, sometimes 10 times higher than
anywhere else in the world, but whatever price is being charged, we have to
pay because we have no choice."

The launch of PIDA has summit participants talking about the new 'can do'
attitude on the continent, epitomized by the spectacular success of the
World Cup. South African President Jacob Zuma described this moment as the
time Africa turns its dreams into reality.

"We have what it takes," said President Zuma. "What everybody's been talking
about here is the successful World Cup tournament. There was nothing from
out of Africa which made that success. It was all from within. Those who
were doubting, who were skeptical, in fact some of them, those who were
honest have been confessing that they were wrong, Africa is ready to do it.
I think we are, and I think the infrastructure positions us in such a way
that the world is going to look at us. I think it's our time to lead the
world."

Mr. Zuma, speaking without notes, talked of his dream of pan-African
highways stretching from coast to coast.

"We need three major highways in the continent," said Mr. Zuma. "One in the
west of Africa connecting from north to south, one in the middle of Africa,
one in the east of Africa, together with their rays. We all connect to
these. Africa will be a vibrant continent."

The serious summit business begins Sunday. More than 30 leaders will
consider Libya's controversial demand for the speedy creation of a union
government. They will hear a briefing from former South African president
Thabo Mbeki on the possible birth of a new African state next January when
Southern Sudan holds an independence referendum. And they will consider ways
of correcting Africa's poor maternal health record.

But at the top of the agenda will be Somalia, and specifically how to
respond to the deadly bomb attacks in Kampala claimed by the al-Shabab
extremist group. AU Peace and Security Commisioner Ramtane Lamamra says the
summit communique will reflect the concern of heads of state that Somalia is
in danger of becoming a base for al-Qaida terrorists.

"It will convey a message of firmness, resolve, determination, to do what is
needed to be done so the international community would prevail," said
Ramtane Lamamra.

Lamamra says there is a new determination among member states to give AU
peacekeepers the authority to take on the small but well-financed al-Shabab
force.

"Al-Shabab can be defeated," said Lamamra. "There are many ways to defeat
them. But I believe indeed al-Shabab can be defeated. Anyway they will not
prevail."

Sunday's opening session will hear from the summit's guest of honor, Mexican
President Felipe Calderon, who will be the host of the next climate summit
later this year in Cancun. Others on the list include U.S. Attorney General
Eric Holder, who will deliver a message on behalf of President Barack Obama.

Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi (r) on his arrival at the Entebbe
International Airport for the African summit, 24 Jul 2010

Photo: AP

Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi (r) on his arrival at the Entebbe
International Airport for the African summit, 24 Jul 2010

image001.jpg