[dehai-news] (Reuters) INTERVIEW-Britain calls for more troops in Somalia

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2010 - 15:28:09 EDT

 http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LDE66M21T.htm

INTERVIEW-Britain calls for more troops in Somalia
23 Jul 2010 18:18:09 GMT
Source: Reuters
 * Britain says cap on troop level should be lifted

* Says Eritrea can exploit its links with rebels

* Officials say South Africa may contribute troops

By Barry Malone and Jeremy Clarke

KAMPALA, July 23 (Reuters) - Britain on Friday threw its weight behind calls
for more African troops to be sent to Somalia to battle Islamist rebels,
whose suicide attacks in Uganda last week killed 73 people watching the
World Cup final.

An African Union (AU) summit in the Ugandan capital Kampala, planned before
the attacks, has put the Somali crisis at the top of its agenda and more
than 30 African heads of state are under pressure to act on the failed
state.

Central to discussions at the summit is the mandate of an AU peacekeeping
force of 6,300 troops, which is protecting Somalia's besieged government.
Delegates told Reuters a cap of 8,100 on troop levels would likely be lifted
during the meeting.

"We certainly welcome an increase in numbers," Britain's minister for
Africa, Henry Bellingham, told Reuters in an interview on the sidelines of
the summit. "We said yes to (lifting the restriction on troop numbers).
Absolutely."

The AU force may also be given permission to attack the rebels -- it can now
only fight when engaged. Bellingham warned the move could backfire.

"We are cautious about that because we're worried about possible collateral
damage," he said. "We have to balance the military option with the moves
that are also afoot to try and find some political progress."

Somalia's near powerless Western-backed government is hemmed into a few
streets of the capital Mogadishu. Troops from Uganda and Burundi make up the
AU force -- al Shabaab said that was why it attacked Kampala.

Al Shabaab -- meaning "the youth" in Arabic -- controls huge swathes of
central and southern Somalia and is fighting to overthrow the government.
Last week's bombings were the group's first strike outside Somalia.

A U.S. counterterrorism official this week told Reuters that, after the
Kampala attack, his government now favoured "aggressive action" against al
Shabaab and would increase funding to AMISOM. He did not rule out bombings
by U.S. drones.

Delegates from around the continent are facing renewed pressure behind the
scenes at the summit to pledge troops to AMISOM. AU officials told Reuters
that South Africa was negotiating a significant deployment of troops.

The AU said on Friday that Guinea would send a battalion of troops to join
AMISOM.

ERITREA'S ROLE?

The only nation to be punished for its role in the Somali crisis, Eritrea,
made an unexpected visit to the summit despite suspending its membership of
the AU last year after the AU called for sanctions against the African
nation.

In December the United Nations imposed the punitive measures, accusing
Eritrea of funding and arming Islamist rebels in Somalia. Bellingham said
the international pressure may have told on the small Red Sea state.

"We just had a meeting with the Eritrean foreign minister. The fact that
they have come does show that they don't want to be completely ostracised,"
he said.

Bellingham said the much-maligned nation could play an important role in the
peace process in Somalia, citing their alleged links with insurgents.

"We don't have any time for their regime but they are an important frontline
player," he said. "They claim to be very close to al Shabaab, it goes
without saying that they might have some influence to bear that other
countries don't."

Eritrea has consistently denied it has ever funded, lent logistical support
or provided weapons to any group fighting an insurgency in Somalia.

Last month Eritrea and Djibouti resolved a two-year border dispute, which
surprised many analysts who saw it an uncharacteristic attempt by Eritrea to
mend bridges with the international community six months after the
sanctions. (Editing by Jon Boyle)