[dehai-news] (AFP) Kadhafi offers Africa $90 bln: Senegal leader

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 13:48:09 EDT

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j70crqD5ZtjHbtYqLPo_dDugntcQ

Kadhafi offers Africa $90 bln: Senegal leader

(AFP) – 2 hours ago 7/23/2010

NDJAMENA — Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi put 90 billion dollars at the
disposal of Africa during summit talks on creating a "United States of
Africa", Senegal's President Abdoulaye Wade said Friday.

"We were having a discussion to define a common stance on progress to a
United States of Africa," Wade said during the lunch break at the meeting.

"We raised the economic issue and particularly the projects to be achieved
in African countries. To do this, Mr Kadhafi put 90 billion dollars (70.1
billion euros) at the disposal of Africa," he said.

"Now, it's a question of defining the mechanism by which we should use this
money. I propose a fund in partnership with the private sector," Wade said
on the sidelines of the Community of Sahel-Saharan States (CEN-SAD) summit.

The Senegalese leader gave no details of how the funds might be allocated or
when.

On Thursday the Libyan leader called for a charter adopted by the African
Union on the creation of a "United States of Africa" to be applied.

Kadhafi has often expressed a desire to see a United States of Africa and
created the CEN-SAD trade bloc, which has it headquarters in Tripoli, in
February 1998.

The bloc includes 29 African countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, the
Central African Republic, Chad, the Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea,
Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Libya, Kenya,
Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia,
Sao Tome and Principe, Sudan, Togo and Tunisia.