[dehai-news] (Daily Monitor, Uganda) Eritrean community members claim being charged Shs350,000 per body, seek assistance raising money

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2010 - 15:56:16 EDT

NOTE: This news contributor received the following email earlier today.
Please verify legitimacy before sending money ...

"Kampala, Uganda Bomb Blast Kills Many Inside Ethiopian Restaurant

There was a tragic occurrence in Kampala, Uganda. While watching the last
match to the World Cup Soccer Games in a restaurant in Kampala, many
civilians including Eritreans died in the blast. We have started a fund
raising campaign to assist their families in sending their bodies back to
Eritrea, so they can be buried there, so far there are 6 Eritreans confirmed
dead. Not all of the families that have been notified are able to afford
the transportation costs for the bodies. There are family members in
Seattle of one of the victims who have started raising money and are sending
it through Red Sea Financial, you can ask for Abrehale #206-551-9414,
who's company is cooperating with these efforts and let him know you want to
contribute to help with the fund raising efforts for the victims of the
blast. Every bit will make a difference. The money will be sent to The
Eritrean Community Center in Kampala, Uganda. They will be responsible for
dispersing the funds and paying for the airfare. The flight leaving Kampala
to Asmara will be this Friday 7/16/10. So, we need to send the money no
later than 7/15/10, Thursday at the latest, in order to purchase the
tickets. Please send any assistance you can quickly.

 On behalf of all of the victims' families, thanks ahead of time for your
support."

######################################

http://www.monitor.co.ug/News/National/-/688334/957484/-/view/printVersion/-/w4e13f/-/index.html

"A member of the Eritrean Community in Uganda, Solomon Kaysay, told Daily
Monitor at the mortuary that the hospital was charging them Shs350,000 on
every body of Eritrean national. Six Eritreans nationals died during the
Sunday night bomb blasts in Kampala. They were all hit at Kabalagala’s
Ethiopian village.

“We are being charged Shs350,000 on each body for treatment and dressing,”
Mr Kaysay said yesterday. “We do not have money now but we shall meet today
to see if we can raise it because we must take our people back home.”

City mortuary’s charges for corpses angers relatives

By Gerald Bareebe & Sheila Naturinda (email the author)

Posted Wednesday, July 14 2010 at 00:00

Relatives of victims of Sunday’s bomb blasts yesterday turned their rage on
the Mulago Hospital administration for charging them Shs50,000 each before
releasing bodies for burial.
The relatives, who talked to Daily Monitor at the city mortuary, said the
hospital should not have charged them such ‘huge’ amounts of money at a time
when they are going through hard times.

 “I am surprised that to get the body from the hospital mortuary I must pay
Shs50,000,” said Mr Chrispo Kyambadde, who was at the city mortuary to pick
a body of a workmate who died during the blasts. “I am very annoyed because
this is a government institution which is maintained using our taxpayers’
money.” Another mourner only identified as Paul said he paid Shs80,000 to
get his son’s body which he was supposed to transport to Kabale District for
burial.

Mulago Hospital spokesperson Eliphaz Ssekabira said the mourners were wrong
to blame the institution because it does not run the city mortuary. He said
it is the police and the Directorate of Health Services that are in charge
of the administration of the city mortuary.

Dr Moses Byaruhanga, a police pathologist who has been supervising the
identification and treatment of the bodies at the city mortuary, told Daily
Monitor yesterday that he was not aware about the procedures followed to
charge the relatives for the bodies.

*Higher charge*
“I cannot authoritatively comment about that because I do not know that
people are being charged,” Mr Byaruhanga said. A member of the Eritrean
Community in Uganda, Solomon Kaysay, told Daily Monitor at the mortuary that
the hospital was charging them Shs350,000 on every body of Eritrean
national. Six Eritreans nationals died during the Sunday night bomb blasts
in Kampala. They were all hit at Kabalagala’s Ethiopian village.

 “We are being charged Shs350,000 on each body for treatment and dressing,”
Mr Kaysay said yesterday. “We do not have money now but we shall meet today
to see if we can raise it because we must take our people back home.” At
least 76 people have been confirmed dead following Sunday night’s bomb
explosions that ripped through Kampala city in Lugogo and Kabalagala.