[dehai-news] TheHinduBusinessline.com: Ethiopia offers an acre for $1 on 100-year lease

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2010 - 08:30:21 EDT

Ethiopia offers an acre for $1 on 100-year lease

AFRICA CALLING.

Our Bureau

Hyderabad, June 27

Consider this: Ethiopia is offering one acre of land on annual lease for
just $1 for 100 years.

"We can grow pulses there and bring it back to the country," Dr S. Ayyappan,
Director-General of ICAR, said.

The ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research) has said that Africa
promises gold for agricultural entrepreneurs, scientists and academics.

He called upon academicians and entrepreneurs to look at the opportunity
seriously. He also mooted the idea of sending teams comprising retired
professors and scientists and entrepreneurs to explore the opportunity.

"You may not believe that some countries in the African continent are
offering land for very cheap rentals. We can take advantage of this," he
said.

Dr Ayyappan was speaking at the Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University
(ANGRAU) which hosted the two-day conference of Deans of Agricultural
Universities from across the country.

He asked the Deans to encourage entrepreneurs to tap such opportunities.

Severe Shortage

Quoting a recent survey, he said the Indian agricultural universities and
colleges faced severe shortage of faculty, crippling academic and research
activity. According to him, 50 per cent of all agricultural universities
have vacancies of about 30 per cent. And three universities have more than
60 per cent vacancies and 19 have vacancies between 30-45 per cent and 15
universities, up to 30 per cent.

Faculty strength in agriculture and horticulture colleges was at 55 per cent
and the strength in veterinary colleges was at 49 per cent.

Academicians are reluctant to take up professorship in north-eastern States,
he said.

Caution

While cautioning the universities to upgrade quality of research and farm
activity, he said the accreditation process would monitor all aspects.

"We have accredited 31 universities so far. Another eight are in the
process. We are looking at revamping the curriculum. We have allotted Rs 422
crore to modernise the university farms and establish ICT infrastructure,"
he said.