[dehai-news] VOA: Top State Department Official Affirms U.S. Commitment to Africa

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Sep 16 2009 - 18:13:50 EDT

Top State Department Official Affirms U.S. Commitment to Africa

By Joe DeCapua

The Obama administration's top official for Africa says the United States
intends to have a

[insert caption here]

Carson says Africa has an important role to play in the 21st Century

stronger partnership with the continent. Assistant Secretary of State for
African Affairs Johnnie Carson spoke at the Center for American Progress
(9/15) in Washington.

"In the past four months, since I became assistant secretary, it is clear to
me that President Obama has a strong, continuing and personal interest in
what happens on the continent. And that he intends to give Africa a much
greater priority among our foreign policy interests," he says.

Areas of concern

"First, we will work in partnership with African governments and civil
society to strengthen democratic institutions. Second, we will work for
sustained economic development and growth across the continent. Third, we
will also continue to maintain our historical focus on health issues," he
says.

The State Department official says the U.S. will also work to "prevent,
mitigate and resolve conflicts and disputes" -- and deal with the growing
problems of narcotics trafficking, climate change and energy security.

"The world of geo-strategic politics continues to shift as the world
community leaves behind the challenges and the chessboard of the global cold
war era and moves towards a future that is more global, more resource
conscious, more affected by issues that know no borders," he says.

Meet and greet

US President Barack Obama addresses members of Ghanaian Parliament at the
International Conference Center in Accra, 11 Jul 2009

President Obama addresses Ghanaian Parliament Jul 2009

Carson says the Obama administration has proven its interest in Africa with
numerous tripsto the continent by U.S. officials. This includes a seven-day
visit by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, as well as the president's
visit to Ghana.

President Obama hosts a luncheon for African heads of state attending the
U.N. General Assembly session and will meet with African leaders invited to
the G20 summit in Pittsburgh September 24th and 25th.

"The president has made it clear that despite the very serious and
well-known challenges that confront Africa today, we remain optimistic and
hopeful about the continent. We believe in Africa's potential and its
promise," he says.

However, he says Africa is poor, adding that its people are "disadvantaged
by poor governments, poor infrastructure, natural and man-made disasters."
Many suffer from what he calls a harshness of life that is often daunting.

"We must seek out and publicize the progress that is occurring to give hope
to others and encourage the kind of investment in people and countries that
is critical," he says.

Asked about the killing of a suspected terrorist in Somalia by U.S. special
forces, Carson says it probably makes all those who work in East Africa
safer and more secure.

He calls Nigeria the "most important country in sub-Saharan Africa" because
of its population,oil and peacekeeping capability. But he says Nigeria,
like other countries on the continent, has failed to live up to its
potential. He cites corruption and violence in the Niger Delta as some of
the reasons.

On Zimbabwe, he says President Mugabe and his party have failed to live up
to the agreement that brought about a unity government with the opposition.

Carson says Africa will help shape the 21st Century, adding the United
States cannot ignore the role its people will play in the international
community.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg