[dehai-news] (DM) UPDF officers to train at US base in Djibouti

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 16:05:51 EDT

Daily Monitor - Uganda

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

UPDF officers to train at US base

Martin Ssebuyira

Entebbe

At least 50 UPDF officers were yesterday sent to the American army base
in Djibouti to acquire skills in military planning. The officers, who
will visit the ship where various military operations are conducted,
will get training in disaster management and other operational skills.

"We are engaging in peace keeping in Somalia and Uganda is working
towards forming an East African brigade. There is need to equip the army
with skills to work with international forces," UPDF Air force spokesman
Tabaaro Kiconco said yesterday.

The operation follows a decision by African Union to renew the mandate
of UPDF in Somalia to allow them attack the Al-Shabab militants. Capt.
Kiconco said the officers will use the acquired skills to train junior
officers to work confidently with any international force. "We are
grateful to the US forces for giving us skills to crack down terrorism
and helping us in case of any disaster," he added.

Asked whether the training was in line with the AU mission to attack
Al-Shabab militants, Capt. Kiconco said the objective is to train the
army to work with international forces.

http://www.monitor.co.ug/artman/publish/regional-special/UPDF_officers_t
o_train_at_US_base_90960.shtml