[dehai-news] Fenan Russom: 5th Annual YPFDJ Conference

From: Fenan Russom (fenan.russom@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 13:38:12 EDT

I arrived with my friends from Dallas

I joked and cheered with my friends from Canada

I had fun competing with my friends from Atlanta

I sang my heart out with my friends from Minnesota

I danced the night away with my friends from California

I learned Swedish and Italian from my European Friends

What can I say; this was a joyful experience

I attended the 5th annual conference with no expectation

But I came out with great aspiration

I discovered the true meaning of YPFDJ

The great Symbol it represents

And its true essence

Prior to the conference, YPFDJ was an organization I joined because it
allowed me to impact and better my community here in Dallas. Little did I
know there was far more to it than just making a difference in my local
community; a greater reward, an opportunity to connect with six hundred
Eritreans, who I now refer to as my brothers and sisters. Our connection
seemed so natural; our tie is stronger than that between father and son. The
bond is also more complex than the one between mother and daughter. Each of
us came from different cities not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a
divine purpose. There is one thing we do know: we are here for the sake of
our country and our people. For the countless souls of our brothers and
sisters who shed their blood for our freedom, in which we are connected to
them by a bond of sympathy. Our outer and inner life is built upon the
labors of our people, both living and dead, thus the reason why we exert
ourselves in order to give in return as much as we have received. A Lot of
Eritreans are disbursed all over the world and have lost their connection
with their fellow Eritreans; they are just hanging as they were, in the air,
hovering in all directions unable to find a place where they can settle.
YPFDJ is what connects us together. It is the symbol of unity. It teaches us
not to follow the negative ideas of others, but to learn to listen to the
voice within ourselves. It gives us the strength and potency to accomplish
greater things. It also gives us the capacity to overcome deeply embedded
habits and to cultivate higher and more effective.

YPFDJ allows us to connect with our fellow brothers and sisters from
different cities, states, country and share each other’s unique ideas and
thoughts allowing us to work as team as we work hard to prosper our
beautiful country. Despite what others may say or assume let it be known
that YPFDJ is the ability to work together toward a common vision, it is the
ability to direct individual accomplishments toward organizational
objectives. It is our fuel that allows us to attain uncommon results. It is
a Positive, strong conscious patriotic youth movement that is here to serve
its People. Most of all YPFDJ is the way to connect and build relationship
with fellow Eritreans all over the world. Always remember that one
determined person can make a difference but a group of determined people can
change the course of history.