[dehai-news] (The Citizen) Tanzania Football Federation awards $5000 to its 3rd placed under 17 soccer team

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 08:56:14 EDT

http://thecitizen.co.tz/newe.php?id=14773

TFF awards Serengeti Boys, team to remains

Serengeti Boys players sing and dance to mark the spectacular homecoming
after good show in the just ended CECAFA U-17 Youth Soccer championship.
By Majuto Omary

Tanzania Football Federation (TFF) have awarded the national under 17 soccer
team all USD 5,000 as their recognition for doing better in the just ended
Youth CECACA Challenge cup took place in Khartoum, Sudan.

Speaking during the short ceremony held at TFF after the team arrival, the
body Secretary General, Fredrick Mwakalebela said that the team did
commendable job in the tournament that saw Uganda win the title.

Mwakalebela said that TFF will not take event a single cent from the cash
the team rewarded after clinching the third place and leave to player to
share as one of the motivations .

The decision enabled every player and five officials of the team to pocket $
200(about Sh 260,000).

Mwakalebela also said that TFF will not disband the team, but plans to
develop the players to suit the Under-19, Under-20 and Under -23 teams
before playing for Taifa Stars.

The team head coach, Rodrigo Stockler admitted that the tournament was tough
and all players made efforts to fight for the national pride. Stockler said
his boys played well to finish third overall despite having limited time of
preparations.

"We did not get enough time ahead of the competition, the players came from
Copa Coca-Cola and assembled for about three weeks and then went to the
competition for two weeks," he said.

The TFF head of Youth Competition, Msafiri Mgoyi said that many teams in the
competition fielded over aged players and that was one of the reasons that
blocked his team�s gallant march to the title.

Mgoyi said that some teams fielded married players with children and came
with their families in the competition.

"One of the Eritrean players came with his family and a child, we have
photographed him, these showed how the competition is about, we strictly
respected all of the competition," said Mgoyi.

Minister of Information, Culture and Sports Development, George Mkuchika
thanked all sponsors and TFF for enable the team to come out with such
performances.

Mkuchika said that the players are heroes of the national and urged them to
continue with the training and studying habit even if they are out of the
cam.

He said that the government has limited budget of Sh. 23 billion in that is
used to pay salaries and other expenses.
"I thank sponsors for the support of the team and TFF, the government call
private firm to continue the development of the game in the country,"said
Mkuchika.