[dehai-news] Shabait.com: Press Statement by the PFDJ in connection with Bahti Meskerem

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Mon Aug 31 2009 - 15:05:35 EDT

Press Statement by the PFDJ in connection with Bahti Meskerem
By Staff
Aug 31, 2009, 19:12

As the nation celebrates this year's September 1st (Bahti Meskerem) marking
the 48th anniversary of the launching of the Eritrean people's armed
struggle for independence, it is imperative as ever to recall and reflect on
the history of the Eritrean Revolution and its living significance, as well
as enduring lessons.

In the days of the armed struggle, we used to celebrate Bahti Meskerem in a
spirit of steadfastness and tenacity with the conviction that our victory is
inevitable no matter the time it takes and the hardship the struggle
involves. At the same time, we were well aware of the fact that the
inevitability of the victory of a just and popular struggle does not only
depend on its just and genuine cause. We knew that a number of people's
struggles with just causes failed to achieve the set goal due to the lack of
building a viable organization that could provide the necessary leadership
for the realization of the lofty objective. We had witnessed such a
challenge not only in the experience of others but also that of our own. We
faced this historic challenge in two separate phases and we managed to
emerge victorious in both cases.

The first challenge essentially emanated from internal factors that took
place in the 60s and the beginning of the 70s as a result of internal
division and civil war. We not only emerged strong and victorious but also
succeeded in ensuring the continuity of our struggle through building a
dynamic leading national democratic organization, namely the EPLF. The other
challenge that had mainly to do with external factors was rebuffing the
Soviet-backed Ethiopian colonial invasions by the end of 70s and the
beginning of the 80s. And thanks to our revolutionary organization and
struggle, we were able to emerge victorious and ensure the existence and
continuity of our armed struggle through defeating the seemingly
insurmountable enemy force. Indeed, it would have been practically
impossible to achieve victory and ensure the continuity of our struggle in
these two historical challenges had we failed to build and develop a leading
revolutionary organization that pursues correct path for the realization of
a just cause. Hence, the inevitability of our victory rested not only on our
just cause but also on our pursuit of correct path and struggle, as well as
building the requisite organizational capacity.

Following the successful culmination of the 30 year-long struggle that was
launched on Bahti Meskerem, the struggle did not end
per se but only assumed a new and much more demanding phase. As peoples'
history constitutes a history of continuous struggles, the challenge of the
struggle for independence entered into a new and more complicated
nation-building task. Thus, at the present era of independence, we celebrate
Bahti Meskerem as a great national holiday that symbolizes the cherished
values and principles of our revolution, and one that constitutes the
cornerstone of our victories, existence and continuity as a people and
nation.

Today, we are continuing the struggle for building a strong and prosperous
nation in which justice prevails. In the course of this second and
protracted journey, we should bear in mind that the decisive factor for
achieving victory is that of ensuring the required competence. As long as we
fulfill these prerequisites, it is certain that we would make history
through ensuring the victory of our just cause. And this is the very
enduring message which Bahti Meskerem conveys. The inevitability of our
victory primarily relies on the vitality of our perception and organization.

Hence, it is our historic responsibility to keep intact the revolutionary
pledges towards building a proud nation and honoring the trust of martyrs
through putting up hard work in line with the cherished national democratic
path.

Eternal Glory to our Martyrs!
Victory to the Masses!

People's Front for Democracy and Justice
September 1, 2009