[dehai-news] 4 Ethiopian athletes escaped Tyranny, now seeking Asylum in Scotland

From: Samson Negassi (samson_negassi@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 27 2009 - 18:32:32 EDT

http://www.ethiosun.com/sport/4-ethiopian-athletes-escaped-tyranny-now-seeking-asylum-in-scotland/

According (AP), two runners and two hurdlers from Ethiopia were reported missing Tuesday after leaving their hotel before a track and field meet in Scotland. The four are Betelhem Shewatatek (women’s 200 meters), Feleke Bekele (women’s 400 hurdles), Hagos Tadesse (men’s 400) and Tirehas Haileselassie (men’s hurdles). Scottish Athletics chief executive Geoff Wightman said his organization reported their disappearance to the police. The Ethiopians were to compete Wednesday in the Falkirk Cup, a meet also featuring England, Ireland and Scotland. The four athletes are not regulars at major meets. “My colleague actually tried to restrain two of them but they ran off,” said Dagmawit Amare, who is part of Ethiopia’s team management in Scotland and has been working with Scottish Athletics. “This is such a sad thing to happen for my country and the sport. The 4 athletes are expected to seek political asylum because of persecution on the account of their ethnic and political affiliations.