[dehai-news] Press Release: YPFDJ- DC's 1st Annual Benefit Dinner

From: Adiam Tekeste (adiamtekeste@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 26 2009 - 11:27:47 EDT

Once again, the YPFDJ-DC chapter impressed the Eritrean community of the DC,
MD, & VA area with a beautifully hosted Benefit Dinner at the Eritrean
Cultural Civic Center. The chapter members hoped to host an event that
clearly showed their appreciation to the community members for their
continued support of YPFDJ and its cause. They were pleased to see that the
guests were astonished by the transformation they created at their local
"be'tsifet" setting the perfect ambiance for the First Annual Benefit
Dinner.
The evening started with the YPFDJ members greeting and escorting the guests
to their seats while providing them with food and drinks; as well as
conversation, describing their involvement in the youth movement. Dawit
Haile from the Eritrean Embassy after welcoming the guests gave an overview
of why this benefit dinner was so important in setting an example nationwide
for the development and growth of YPFDJ chapters, and how each contribution
not only supported the conference, but rather was an investment towards the
future of Eritrea. He elaborated that the dinner provided a stepping stone
for chapters to continue to obtain financial and motivational support from
within their communities; as well as through grants and sponsorships from
business owners. Guest of honor, H.E. Ambassador Girmai Ghebremariam
explained the extreme significance of the youth and their participation in
YPFDJ. Expounding on how the youths' involvement helps develop leadership
roles in their local communities as well as abroad. YPFDJ member, Simone
Mariotti provided a testimonial of how vital the community's support was to
the growth of the conference and the movement, by sharing his insight on how
attending the conference for the first time last year moved him and created
a new passion in his life to give back to his country. The Hidri
youth, Semira Tesfai and Alex Amanuel spoke also sharing that the political
insight they learned as well as the friendships and wisdom gained
throughout their involvement has been priceless. Alex Amanuel, who is headed
to Ivy League University of Penn with a 4.0 GPA, emphasized that YPFDJ has
given him a sense of pride and has empowered him to work hard so that he can
contribute to his community and his people and Eritrea.
The theme of the night "W*e cannot always build the future for our youth,
but we can build our youth for the future" **by Franklin D. Roosevelt *was
reiterated throughout the night by all those that spoke. Berhane Ghebrehiwet
from the Eritrean Embassy thanked the guests for their generous donations
and elaborated by saying, "*just like we store our money in banks and our
gold in safes, we should store our values and culture in our youth.*"
The guests were stirred by the efforts they saw within the youth and by how
the conference has affected lives of Eritreans globally and were moved to
give to the cause. Over the course of the night, contributions rounded up to
over $16,000 and donations are still being received daily. The chapter
members were elated to see their guests enjoying themselves and were
wonderfully surprised by the donations given and the words of encouragement
shared throughout the night. The Benefit Dinner's success only added fuel to
the chapter's hopes of ensuring the continued development of the youth
movement which has been going on strong for over five years.
The energy in the room was extremely positive and the evening had an even
more cheerful turn when Sami Berhane along with his team including a young
vocalist Haile Gezu performed great songs of past and recent as the musical
entertainment began. There was also a special guest appearance from
Tesfaldet Kuburezghi who had the whole room on their feet singing some of
his most popular songs.
YPFDJ DC's mission to host an annual conference which mobilizes, organizes,
and develops the Eritrean youth is an enormous responsibility which many
chapters nationwide are extremely grateful for. And for many of the members,
to see the support they received from their peers, business owners, and
more, surpassed all their expectations reigniting their passion to continue
on with this movement.

Click Here To View
Pictures<http://www.slide.com/r/XHVZXKYy3z_qbLhKQpPlS1NU1pi-q7el?previous_view=mscd_embedded_url&view=original>

YPFDJ- DC* would like to thank all the Eritrean Community members of the DC,
VA, and MD area for their continued support and words of encouragement.
*
-YPFDJ Media Committee