[dehai-news] (AlJazeera) Somali forces retake second town

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 08:28:16 EDT

UPDATED ON:
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
14:59 Mecca time, 11:59 GMT

Ahlu Sunna wal Jamaa fighters, part of the pro-government forces, chased
al-Shabab out of the town of Bulahawa in Gedo, southwestern Somalia, on
Monday, without firing a shot.

The towns of Mahaas and Wabho in the centre of the country have also
recently been taken by government forces.

Pro-government forces say they want to drive the fighters from the
south-central town of Baidoa and strategic southern port of Kis mayu.

Until this week the government controlled only small parts of the costal
capital Mogadishu.

The US has accused al-Shabab of being al-Qaeda's proxy in Somalia.

Somalia has suffered civil war for the past 18 years and African Union
peacekeepers are currently in the country aiming to back Sheikh Ahmed's
government.

  Somali forces retake second town *The US has accused al-Shabaab of
being al-Qaeda's proxy in Somalia* *[EPA]*

Pro-government forces in Somalia have recaptured the southwestern town of
Luq, which had been controlled by al-Shabab, officials say.

The town, claimed on Wednesday, is the second taken by government troops as
Sheikh Sharif Ahmed, Somalia's president, seeks to crush opposition
fighters.

Colonel Mohamed Osman Weli told the AFP news agency that his forces took
control of Luq without bloodshed.

"The hardline elements ran away from us before we got to them, now we fully
control the town," he said.

Mohammed Adow, Al Jazeera's correspondent in Kenya, said the government's
onslaught is believed to have the backing of Ethiopia, which has massed
troops on its border with Somalia.

"This perhaps explains why government forces have been retaking the
strategic towns from al-Shabab militias without a fight," he said.