[dehai-news] Sheikh Sharif Ahmed - Can the people of Somalia trust him

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 04:49:13 EDT

Sheikh Sharif Ahmed - Can the people of Somalia trust him

Written by Sophia Tesfamariam

http://alenalki.com/index.php?option=com_content
<http://alenalki.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5809&Itemid=1
> &task=view&id=5809&Itemid=1

Much has been written and said about Sheikh Sharif Ahmed, the new President
of Somalia. Washington is presenting him as the “moderate” Islamist-not sure
what that means anymore. In Washington politics, it looks like a "moderate"
is someone that is amenable to the West, and someone who will advance
western interests ahead of that of his own people, someone who is willing to
get rid of, even kill, those that are opposed to it, or get in the way. The
people of Somalia rallied behind the Union of Islamic Courts and Sheikh
Sharif Ahmed in 2006 because the UIC brought peace to Mogadishu and other
areas in Somalia, but more than that, they trusted the UIC to defend
Somalia’s sovereignty and territorial integrity and the interests of the
Somali people.

Sheikh Sharif Ahmed went from being "hunted down" by the invading Ethiopian
forces in 2006 to the man the US-led international community chose to head
the third externally established Transitional National Government of
Somalia. On the surface, it looks like he was chosen because the US-led
international community felt that he had the best chance of gaining
legitimacy in Somalia, because during the brief 6-month Union of Islamic
Courts takeover of Mogadishu, the UIC under his leadership, had managed to
bring some semblance of normalcy to the city, had facilitated the opening up
of its ports and airports for the first time in 15 years and seemed to have
gained the respect of the Somali people. When the UIC ousted the CIA and
Ethiopian backed Alliance for the Restoration of Peace and Counter-Terrorism
(ARPCT), that controlled Mogadishu in June 2006, the jubilant “moderate”
Sheikh Sharif Ahmed told us:

“…We won the fight against the enemy of Islam. Mogadishu is under control of
its people…”

With the “moderate” Sheikh Sharif Ahmed at the helm again, is Mogadishu
under the control of its people? If the UIC represented the wishes of the
people of Somalia back then, does the UIC, as it is constituted today, still
represent the people of Somalia? Does Sheikh Sharif Ahmed represent what
they want? Let us take a look at what ordinary Somalis want in their
leadership.

After reading a series of articles written by Mr. Luqmaan Suleiman, a Somali
writer, I got the sense that he represented what most Somalis wanted. In an
18 April 2008 article Mr. Suleiman expressed his sentiments about the UIC
and Sheikh Sharif Ahmed. He provided a brief comparison between the two,
Abdulahi Yusuf and Sheikh Sharif Ahmed, and offered his personal
observations. He began his article by writing the following:

“….Unfortunately, Somali people have been lacking both local and national
good leaders for the last twenty years and the temporary leaders who are now
in charge of the Somali affairs lack even minimum standard of leadership
qualities. The leadership situation in Somalia was aggravated by the Tigrian
occupation because no one can do something without their permission….”

http://alenalki.com/images/stories/July-2009/Sheikh%20Sharif%20with%20Meles%
20Zenawi.jpg

Mr. Suleiman had this to say about Abdulahi Yusuf

“…He was supposed to be, look like and take a lesson from progressive
leaders who lead their people with prosperity, peace and understanding.
Instead Abdullahi Yusuf followed a criminal thug and a killer, communist and
dictator like Meles Zenawi who is firstly half of his age and secondly led
his people to destruction, abuse, torture, rape and killing. Not only that
be this old man Abdullahi Yusuf for the first time in Somalia´s history
brought foreigners in to Somalia…Abdullahi Yusuf, lacks all kinds of basic
qualities leadership…His leadership qualities are a bad mouth, saying things
without thinking, manipulator, congenital liar, irresponsible and not
trustworthy, blood on his hands and psychopathic… if he is a good man he
would have left politics and devoted his last day of his life to surrender
Allah (swt) and ask for forgiveness for his past sins instead he is ordering
the killing of innocent children, women and elders..."

Mr. Suleiman seems to want the same qualities in leadership that we all
seek. He expects Somalia’s leaders to be honest, principled and visionary.
He expects them to be selfless leaders who promote the unity of the Somali
people and promote Somalia’s social, economic and political interest.

Now let us take a look at his impressions of Sheikh Sharif Ahmed and see if
he semms to fit the bill. Mr. Suleiman wrote:

“…Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed possesses the qualities of a good leader. He is
calm, respectable, authoritative, charismatic, multi-lingual, cooperative,
compromiser, trustworthy, realistic, and optimistic, possess listening
skills, patience, forgive and forget, communicator and self knowledge these
and many more…Sheikh Sharif is now the leader of the Alliance for the
Re-liberation of Somalia. As the leader of the opposition group, he
demonstrated the abilities to deal with many well known experienced foreign
politician and Journalist and convinced them that the solution of the Somali
people rests the withdrawal of the Tigrean militias from Somalia and they
finally accepted that view. These politician and journalist saw him during
IUC and they saw him a leader whom they deal and trust…”

In addition to his cool demeanor, it seems that there was something else
that made Mr. Suleiman choose Sheikh Sharif Ahmed over Abdulahi Yusuf. This
is what he wrote:

“…Furthermore, he showed clearly his leader qualities during the reign of
the Islamic Union Courts (IUC) which ruled Somalia for six months. With his
leadership the Somali people tasted a good sense of normalcy, safe
environment, with hope and prosperity. During that period, Sheikh Sharif was
the face and speaker of the IUC and he showed to the world that Somalia can
be restored back with an environment of progress and tranquility and safety
after seventeen years of lawlessness, hunger and suffering…Not only that but
he refused to sit with Transitional Government officials including the
current so called President Abdullahi Yusuf and previous Prime Minister, the
current Prime Minister and their Tigrian Master Meles Zenawi …”

Today, as I follow developments in Somalia and follow Sheikh Sharif Ahmed’s
reign, I wonder if Mr. Suleiman would still approve of Sheikh Sharif Ahmed’s
record. Is Sheikh Sharif Ahmed's conduct today any different than that of
Abdulahi Yusuf and Ali Mohammed Ghedi? Is Sheikh Sharif Ahmed living up to
the expectation of the Somali people, such as Mr. Suleiman? Can the Somali
people trust Shekh Sharif Ahmed to do what is right for the Somali people or
is he, like his predecessors, using the supposed presence “extremists” as a
pretext to ingratiate himself with the US-led international community? As
they say, a man is only as good as his word. Is he today, like Mr. Suleiman
said "the face and speaker" for the UIC?

I decided to go back and take a look at what Sheikh Sharif Ahmed was saying
then, and compare it to what he is saying today. The readers can judge his
honesty, credibility and integrity for themselves. Let us look at the
fundamental issues that were the most important to the Somali people, such
as Mr. Suleiman, and see where Sheikh Sharif Ahmed stands. In addition to
exercising their sovereign right to choose their own leaders, as we have
heard over and over again, the Somali people do not want any foreign forces
on their soil, especially Ethiopians. We also know that the Somali people
want peace, stability and security in their country. Back then Sheikh Sharif
Ahmed seemed to agree with the Somali people. Is Sheikh Sharif Ahmed in step
with the people of Somalia or is he on a different course, dancing to a
different tune? Let’s see how he stacks up.

Today, the western media keep reporting about the presence of "foreign
fighters" in Somalia and Sheikh Sharif Ahmed has joined the chorus with his
own wild accusations against those who are opposing his rule. The recent
revelations about a group of young Somali men from Minnesota who went to
fight alongside the Somali people explain the sudden influx of "foreigners"
in Somalia. It should be recalled that as far back as 2001, there were some
analysts who wrote about the presence of Afghan, Pakistani and other
"foreigners" being in Somalia. They relied on intelligence provided by the
minority regime in Ethiopia. It is unfortunate that Sheikh Sharif Ahmed who
once called on all Somalis everywhere to resist the Ethiopian occupation
with their "souls and money" and said "It is our belief that every
individual in Somalia has to participate in the resistance and the defeat of
the Ethiopian occupation” now wants to label those who heeded that call as
"terrorists". Defending your country against foreign intervention is not
terrorism.

Back then, when the Abdulahi Yusuf TNG claimed that Al Qaeda was in Somalia,
Sheikh Sharif Ahmed was adamant about Somalia not being a haven for
terrorists. In the letter delivered to the diplomatic corps in the Kenyan