[dehai-news] (SouthWest news, Australia) National pride brings out best of emotions

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 09:46:27 EDT

http://south-west-news.whereilive.com.au/lifestyle/story/national-pride-brings-out-best-of-emotions/
National
pride brings out best of emotions

15 Jul 09 @ 08:50am by Christopher O'Leary
  [image: National pride brings out best of emotions]

Saba Abraham received the Fair Go Pride of Australia medal last week.

DURACK: Tears rolled down Durack resident Saba Abraham’s cheeks when she was
recognised for helping immigrants find work on Thursday.

The 47-year-old, who arrived in Australia as a Sudanese refugee 17 years
ago, received the Fair Go Pride of Australia medal at Customs House last
week.

“I was surprised, I couldn’t believe it and I was emotional,” she said.

“Tears were coming out.”

Born in Eritrea, Mrs Abraham was recognised for her work establishing
Mu’ooz, a work-based training program which pays refugee women and provides
them with formal qualifications.

With help from the Eritrean Australian Women and Family Support Network, Mrs
Abraham established the program in 2004.

“In 2003, we started exploring the idea because if you didn’t know the
language or have education, you weren’t going to find work,” she said.

“We decided to do a food stall and take it to community festivals. We
started with a $1000 loan and we made $15,000.”

Last year, the program launched a restaurant in Moorooka with 22 African
women employees. Their training was provided through a joint venture between
the network, the Greater Brisbane Area Consultative Committee and Spiral
Community Hub.

“Training gives you knowledge and if you get that, you build up the
confidence and then you will work,” she said.