[dehai-news] Eritrean Legend Bereket Mengistaeb Honored in Washington D.C

From: michael seium (michael.seium@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 13:22:01 EDT

Eritrean Legend Bereket Mengistaeb Honored in Washington D.C

On Saturday July 11th, 2009 a proud son of the nation Eritrea, a poet,
cultural hero, & a musical legend was honored for his 50 years as an icon in
the music world. Bereket Mengistaeb is a true legend and his accomplishments
are timeless and endless. His life time dedication to Eritrean music along
with his role in the Eritrean society needs a special attention of it's own.
The Eritrean Musicians Association needs to be complimented for a job well
done in initiating an event to honor the leading artist of our time. At the
embassy suites hotel in the heart of downtown Washington D.C the legend
himself dressed in traditional attire, very proud and distinguished came
into the room to a standing room ovation by the public.

Present at the event were the Eritrean Ambassador to the United States, his
excellency Girmai Gebremariam and other embassy officials. Bereket's music
has influenced many people and his continued stance for the people of
Eritrea and his motherland is one that would be hard to match. Whether it is
the war for Independence or the recent border war his patriotism always gave
energy and helped people stay vigilant during tough times. Bereket is a
treasure Box full of songs, lyrics and music as he is such an influential
figure to this day in the Eritrean lifestyle.

The Eritrean Musicians Association which comprises of musical artists who
reside in the diaspora has been planning this event for a while now
according to one of the organizers also a legend in his own terms, Haile
Gebru.

"Even this event does not do Bereket Justice" said Haile Gebru in an
interview, he went on to add that Bereket was the inspiration behind his
talents and thanks to him, he was heavily influenced by him his own musical
career. "His ability to write songs may be familiar to many, but for me it
was his music composition that stayed in my mind for years, I mean look at
his songs they still continue to be a part of the Eritrean culture even
though they were produced many years ago" Haile continued.

Sami Berhane also a member of the Eritrean Musicians Association spoke of a
moment when Bereket changed his life for good in the middle east during his
younger days. He stressed that Bereket was responsible for allowing him to
play BASS at a very crucial moment during a performance in Saudi Arabia
which jump started his career as one of the leading Eritrean singers.

The other members of the Eritrean musicians also payed tribute to the legend
as he was being introduced. They each sang a montage of his songs
collectively taking turns. It was truly a great moment as the songs took the
audience back to the good old days when Bereket's songs were a house hold in
every Eritrean family.

Bereket's steadfastness is something that we should be proud of emphasized
ambassador Girmai "His stance towards his country from the struggle years
and beyond as well as during the border war is something that every Eritrean
should be proud of".

Then the legend himself took on the Mic as he expressed his love for his
people. He quoted a statement from one of his songs which mentions the
simple fact that he was born from the Eritrean family is a big blessing.
Loosley translated from his 1998 song "Kabaka Miwladey Yekrueni,Hizbi
Eritrea, nay Africa Awra" he stressed that without his people he would be
nothing. Following his statement a Cake cutting ceremony along with a poping
champagne took place to the joy of the many people who attended this special
evening.

Bereket deserves a lot more but he has been very humble and stood side by
side with his people for a long time. How could anyone forget the times when
he came up with songs that empowered a whole population with his songs of
love for country and love for one another. Even the people of Eritrea's
neighboring countries enjoyed his songs as he had an impact in the lives of
many through his ability to create magical sounds authentically made in the
traditional Eritrean style.

I recall it was in 1998 in the city of Minneapolis during the annual
Eritrean Sports festival when Bereket took the initiative to gather all the
people at the stadium including players fans and vendors getting ready to
watch the final games and with a loud speaker on his hand he started to
rhyme poems that just came out naturally and helped give strength to all of
us during tough times.

I am sure there are a lot of other stories to tell about Bereket and on
Saturday night it sure was a pleasure to see a legend of Eritrea being
honored for his outstanding contribution to Eritrean music. We hope to see
more of Bereket and we should all be thankful to god that we get to say
thank you to him in his lifetime while he is with us. His achievements
continue to be an inspiration
 and he continues to this day to work hard in making songs that will
live with us forever.

I think a special tribute worldwide should be held for Bereket and as
Eritreans we should all help
and
encourage the kind of work displayed by the Eritrean Musicians
Association to continue to maintain our unique and special culture. I
forsee one day that an international standard sypmhony made in Eritrea
playing Bereket's originals in a tribute to the Eritrean people and legend
himself.

We wish him a good and long health and I would like to take a great
description in tigrinia of Bereket from his website written by a certain
individual Tshaye Berihun which I found to be awesome. It is attached with a
picture of him.

Congratulations to The Father of Eritrean Music Bereket Mengisteab on the
occasion of his 50th year anniversary celebrations which took place in
Washington D.C on July 11th, 2009.

Mike Seium.