[dehai-news] Monitor.co.ug: Uganda: Somalia - Whose War is the UPDF Fighting?

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Fri Jul 10 2009 - 09:09:08 EDT

Uganda: Somalia - Whose War is the UPDF Fighting?

http://www.monitor.co.ug/artman/publish/opinions/index.shtml

  _____

editorial

The UPDF has been supplying arms and munitions to fighters of the Somali
Transitional Federal Government on behalf of the United States government.
The Americans, keen to stop radical Islamists from taking over the troubled
country, have then been paying the UPDF to restock its supplies.

Few people will argue against the need for countries in the region, as well
as interested parties such as the United States, to seek a peaceful Somalia.
It is the reason our government deployed peacekeepers to Somalia, under the
aegis of the African Union, to help support the fledging government there.
However, supplying arms to one party in such a conflict takes away the flag
of neutrality that our peacekeepers are expected to have and opens them up
to the possibility of attack from 'enemy' combatants.

As the Americans discovered in 1993 when 18 of their soldiers were killed in
gun battles in the capital Mogadishu, anyone who gets involved into the
back-alley military adventures of Somali politics ought to be prepared to
pay a high price. Why then would our government want to put our men in
uniform in the line of fire where others - including the Americans - are not
willing to deploy their own? It might win us friends in foreign capitals but
is it in our long-term national interest to walk this lonely and dangerous
journey?

It is now clear that the Transitional Federal Government has failed to
impose its will, either militarily or politically, over Somalia and that
even if it wins the war it will, in all likelihood, lose the peace. It is
also clear that there is no peace for our soldiers to keep in Somalia.

If keeping the TFG in power is in our interest and that of neighbouring
states, the African Union and the international community, let them all
contribute the men and resources required to defeat the Islamist
fundamentalists - and rebuild Somalia's political systems and institutions.

We cannot continue to pretend to keep the peace in Somalia while arming some
of the combatants, neither should our national army be turned into a
mercenary force to fight on behalf of foreign interests.

Unless we maintain the neutrality that the peacekeeping mandate assumes or
mobilise a multilateral effort to seek long-term solutions to Somalia's
problems, we shall be making Uganda a target for terror groups.