[dehai-news] (Cnews) Eritrean-origin Canadian man suspect in wife's death

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Jul 07 2009 - 16:53:10 EDT

'Nice' man suspect in wife's death

Husband tells police he killed a person

By TAMAS VIRAG, SUN MEDIA

The Edmonton Sun

EDMONTON -- A man who friends and neighbours describe as quiet and nice
is the prime suspect in Edmonton's latest homicide investigation.

"We received information from a man who came to the police who had said
that he had killed a person," said Staff Sgt. Lorne Pubantz of the
Edmonton police's homicide section.

He added it was "extremely rare" for a person who may be involved in a
death to turn himself in.

"At this time we have a suspect and are looking to confirm information,"
he said.

When police went to the man's house at 7328 164 Ave. on Sunday night
they found his wife's body, along with some of the couple's young
children, who were treated as witnesses.

"There's some hint that this is a domestic violence investigation, in
fact that's what we are basing the start of our investigation on,"
Pubantz said.

An autopsy for the woman was held yesterday, and police expect the
results to be available sometime today.

Though Pubantz said the autopsy would be a "complicated" one, he did not
elaborate on that, or give any hints as to the manner in which the woman
died.

Pubantz said the autopsy will help investigators decide whether or not
the death was the result of a criminal act.

Friends have identified the couple as Tesfai, believed to be in his
mid-50s, and Selamawit, believed to be about a decade younger.

The land title certificate for the address names Tesfai Negasi and
Selamawit Negasi as co-owners.

Friends hanging out at a downtown coffee shop Tesfai frequented were
shocked to hear the news.

"He don't have financial problems, he don't have family problems ...
this guy won't kill his wife ... no," said a friend who identified
himself as Jim, shaking his head.

"I'm sure, 100%, it (happened) accidentally," he added. "I'm sure Tesfai
never intended to kill his wife. He's a nice person."

"That's why it's very shocking news for us," another friend added,
asking to remain anonymous.

"It's a very sad day for us, for the whole community."

Friends said Tesfai and Selamawit were born in Eritrea and immigrated to
Canada about 25 years ago.

The pair moved from Calgary to Edmonton three years ago, they said.

Others said Selamawit, whom they rarely saw, was a nice and friendly
woman.

The couple had two daughters under the age of 10 and at least one adult
daughter.

Neighbours were equally shocked to learn of the news on the affluent
block where cop cars make few appearances.

Khuong Pham, who lives two houses down the street, said Tesfai was a
quiet man who waved to him daily on his way to work, driving a gravel
truck for his own company.

Other neighbours recalled seeing the family on the street, teaching a
young girl to ride a bike.

No charges have been laid in the death. Police are continuing their
investigation.

TAMAS.VIRAG@SUNMEDIA.CA

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2009/07/07/10048216-sun.html