[dehai-news] (AFP) Somalia bombing have the markings of Al-Qaeda: US official

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2008 - 15:42:56 EST

Somalia bombings have markings of Al-Qaeda: US official

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

NAIROBI (AFP) - The deadly coordinated suicide car bomb attacks against
key targets in two Somali breakaway states Wednesday have the markings
of Al-Qaeda, Jendayi Frazer, US assistant secretary of state for Africa,
told reporters in Nairobi.

"Nobody has claimed responsibility for the attacks, but they have the
markings of Al-Qaeda," she said after attending a summit on Somalia in
the Kenyan capital.

"We believe that these senseless attacks highlight the determination of
violent extremists to undermine peace and stability throughout Somalia
and the Horn of Africa."

Frazer said Washington will continue to support regional efforts to
combat terrorism.

"There is a serious terrorist threat in the Horn of Africa, concentrated
in Somalia, Somaliland and Puntland and we have to address it as a
region," she said.

Frazer called for action against Eritrea for hosting Sheikh Hassan Dahir
Aweys, an influential Somali cleric listed as a terrorist by Washington
and who has rejected recent peace talks and ceasefires.

"What I can say is Aweys is sitting in Eritrea... he is in the UN and US
terror list. Eritrea is giving a safe haven to a terrorist, we need to
act accordingly," she said.

"He is not for peace in Somalia, he is not for good governance in
Somalia, he is making terrorism threats, we need to treat him
accordingly," she told AFP.