[dehai-news] (The Irish World) Teacher's legacy lives on in Eritrea

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2008 - 15:04:31 EST

Teacher's legacy lives on in Africa

The mother and father of a teacher killed in a road accident open a
primary school in Africa to fulfill their daughter's
dream.

By Shelley Marsden - 27/10/08

Barbara Gill, 49, had always dreamed of helping the young children she
had visited in the country in the months before she died.

Ms Gill had just become a mum for the first time to baby son Stephen
when a lorry hit her as she cycled to work in Dublin.

Following her tragic death, her parents read in her diary about how she
wanted to help the poor kids she had met in an isolated part of
Eritrean, which she had visited with the Irish charity Self Help Africa.

Margaret and Bill Gill were inspired by their daughter’s wishes and,
with the help of family and friends, have carried out several
fundraising drives to raise over ˆ110,000.

Margaret Gill, who was in Eritrea yesterday to open the primary school
along with her husband, said it was a very moving time.

"It is a sad, happy time for us," she said. "I know we will come back
from this trip different people. We're very proud the school is being
opened. It's a wonderful dream come true."

Her family and Irish members of Self Help Africa were in the remote
district of Adri Gebre to see a plaque unveiled yesterday in Barbara's
memory at the school. She had lectured on Third World issues in primary
school training colleges.

http://www.theirishworld.com/article.asp?SubSection_Id=2
<http://www.theirishworld.com/article.asp?SubSection_Id=2&Article_Id=731
6> &Article_Id=7316