[dehai-news] (Explore - UK) ERITREA: Discover one of Africa's newest, least-visited nations

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2008 - 21:14:04 EDT

Eritrean Highlights

Ref: ER (2009 season)

Introduction

• Discover one of Africa's newest, least-visited nations
• Relax in a café among Asmara's art deco architecture
• Take a journey on an Italian-era steam train (optional)

Tour information

Cultural Contrasts of Asmara

We begin our journey in Eritrea's striking and friendly capital. Set on
a high fertile plateau with an almost perfect climate, Asmara, although
undeniably African, has also retained its distinctly Italian feel; a
very tangible legacy of its colonial days. It remained largely intact
following the more recent struggles that have troubled the area and
there is time here throughout our tour to explore the amazing Art Deco
and Italian architecture, vibrant market, cathedral and mosques, as well
as to relax with a cappuccino at one of the many cafes that dot the wide
boulevards.

Keren & Debre Sina

Our first excursion is north through the highlands past steep terraces
of coffee and orange groves to Keren, set on a plateau surrounded by
dusty ochre mountains. One of Eritrea's most attractive towns, Keren is
also the heart of Eritrea's agricultural community. We visit the lively
Monday market, British and Italian War cemeteries and shrine of St.
Mariam Dearit, unusually set into a baobab tree! We return to Asmara via
the 6th century Debre Sina Monastery.

Nefasit steam train & Massawa

Turning south we discover the ruins of Qohaito, thought to date back
2000 years to the mysterious Axumite civilisation that once dominated
the region. Next we take a dramatic drive down from the highlands to
spend time on the coast at the Arabic port of Massawa. We stroll among
the many white Turkish, Egyptian and Italian buildings and through the
maze of narrow alleyways to soak up the atmoshphere and maybe sample
some the mouth-watering seafood available. On our return to Asmara
there's the opportunity to take a unique journey on Eritrea's famous
Italian-era steam train through the mountains between Asmara and
Nefasit, covering over 20 tunnels and 65 bridges!

Please click the link below to read more

http://www.explore.co.uk/Explore/UI/Dossier/2009Dossiers/ER.pdf

http://www.explore.co.uk/Tour+Detail+Page.htm?TourCode=ER
<http://www.explore.co.uk/Tour+Detail+Page.htm?TourCode=ER&BrochureCode=
EWW2009> &BrochureCode=EWW2009

 ER-09.gif
<http://www.explore.co.uk/Explore/UI/Templates/ImageResize.aspx?width=58
5&fileName=/Explore/UI/Images/Tours/ER-09.gif>

ER-09.gif