[dehai-news] PressTV: Somali opposition, TFG to sign peace deal

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 14:38:18 EDT

Somali opposition, TFG to sign peace deal
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:22:24 GMT

      Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed
Somalia's opposition leader says the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) and the opposition groups are to sign a peace deal soon.

Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed told reporters in Yemen that the peace agreement would be signed in Saudi Arabia, a Press TV correspondent reported.

"We should save our people, our country, and stop daily violence," Sheikh Ahmed said.

He also proposed the idea of power sharing saying that if the opposition and TFG work together, they can work toward solving the problems Somalia faces.

"Power sharing is very important, we want our share in the government," said the opposition leader, adding, "We have the right to ask for a Unity Government."

Sheikh Ahmed urged the opposition groups in Somalia to unite and form a single opposition standing for one cause. He expressed hope that foreign forces would leave the country in the near future.

Somalia has been without an effective central government since the Horn of Africa nation's dictator Siad Barre was overthrown in 1991. In 2006, Ethiopia sent in troops to back Somalia's Transitional Federal Government (TFG).

The ongoing violence in Somalia has resulted in the death and displacement of countless civilians.

esmaeeli20081022191401343.jpg