[dehai-news] Thousands attend fourth annual African Catholic Day of Prayer

From: segen80@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 01 2008 - 14:35:08 EDT

http://www.catholicstandard.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=26&ArticleID=1918

9/24/2008 6:24:00 AM

Email this article • Print this article

Above, members of the St. Cecilia African Gospel Choir sing during the Mass. Below, Kenyan Archbishop Zacchaeus Okoth celebrates the Mass, joined by Eritrean Bishop Menghesteab Tesfamariam and Washington Bishop Martin Holley.

Thousands attend fourth annual African Catholic Day of Prayer

By Sherri A. Watkins

In an exuberant celebration of African cultures, a Sept. 20 Mass borrowed from various traditions to present readings, prayers, and songs in Amharic, Zulu, Swahili, Ibo, and other African languages; a procession of 22 representative African nations' flags; and a bold display of African Catholic traditions and colorful native costumes at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

Over the weekend, African Catholics in the Washington region were joined by their brothers and sisters from across the United States and several African religious leaders, and by African priests and religious who serve in various ministries in a number of states for the fourth annual African Catholic Day of Prayer. The gathering's theme was "Celebrating the African Catholic Faith: Unity and Growth in the Eucharist."

"I came here today from Africa to express solidarity... to express African unity with you," proclaimed Archbishop Zacchaeus Okoth of Kisumu, Kenya, the main celebrant of the Mass. Concelebrants20included Washington Auxiliary Bishop Martin Holley; Arlington Bishop Paul S. Loverde; and Bishop Menghesteab Tesfamariam of Asmara, Eritrea.

Eritrean and Ethiopian Catholics of the Ge'ez Rite opened introductory rites with a rhythmic procession of nearly a dozen dancers and singers slowly moving forward in a circle while drumming and ringing native bells.

Later, in another dignified, unhurried procession, members of the Bui Family Union of the Cameroonian Catholic Community of Washington - who worship at Resurrection Parish in Burtonsville - danced and sang in the Word of God: In the center of a slowly processing group of women, one senior woman walked bent forward sharply at her hips, carrying the lectionary in a small tote bag balanced on her flat back while those around her sang, "This is the word of God. Praise the Word of God," punctuated by joyful ululations.

Throughout the Mass, in a powerful reflection of the Church's universality, worshippers could often be heard responding in their native tongues, even participating more fully with expressions of their own unique traditions.

For the Gospel acclamation, voices from an unseen child and adult called the congregation to attention: "Stand up. Stand up. People, the word of truth is here," they said. "The Lord is here; he wants to talk to you Kenya, Senegal, Nigeria, Benin... People, the word of truth is here."

"We come to express profession of our bond of unity in the one Catholic Church," said Archbishop Okoth in his homily. "As immigrants here today, we
 are here to recognize the true bond of love we have between us," said the archbishop, expressing his vision, "a spiritual dream," that one day each American parish would form an African chaplaincy to minister to its African immigrant community. "We will share a positive cultural tradition that will bring added value to the Catholic faith," he explained.

Archbishop Okoth said he is often asked how Kenya is faring today, in the aftermath of 2007 elections that led to violence and overwhelming discord. "In Kisumu, where I'm from," he said, "many are crying out for assistance."

Speaking to those living "in the land of the free," he expressed gratitude for those who have assisted his country through a difficult period. "I especially thank (former U.N. secretary-general) Kofi Annan, for the political pressure driving our democracy forward. I thank those who helped with our development, like the United States, and thank also those like Catholic Relief Services, who helped displaced persons."

Equally important, the archbishop continued, are the Kenyan people "for zealously protecting their beautiful country..." Archbishop Okoth commented that, "Our country took the road to hell, but came back from the brink by the grace of God... We join in saying: 'Never again.'"

In a direct appeal to those who see Kenya's "senseless killings, barricading of roads, and wanton destruction of property," that has resulted in "1.7 million orphans, elderly parents whose breadwinner sons were killed, [and] young widows," the archbishop asked his immi
grant audience to recognize their "duty and responsibility as co-leaders [in Africa's development]." He asked for commitments of "only $20 a month" - by visiting ww.africanca.org or calling the African Catholic Association at (202) 756-2760 to make a pledge - that would fund microfinance to recapture jobs, support widows languishing from poverty, and address desperate needs for laboratory equipment that would help those suffering from HIV/AIDS and tropical diseases.

Other events over the weekend included a meeting of the National Association of African Catholics, a roundtable discussion on the "Influence of People of African Descent in the United States Catholic Church," an art exhibit and social services fair with free African food, and a dinner gala.

"When we started [the African Catholic Day of Prayer] in 2005, we had few communities participating; here we have representatives of 22 African countries participating, and growing," said Sister Joanna Okereke, from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops' Secretariat of Cultural Diversity in the Church. "And for the first time this year we have participation of the newly born National Association of African Catholics in the United States."

Sister Okereke also thanked the "many individuals [who] collaborated to make [the weekend event] the success it has been." Those contributing their time and talents included the St. Anthony Ghanaian Catholic Choir; the Kidane-Mehret (Ethiopian and Eritrean) Choir; the St. Cecilia Choir; and a children's choir composed of youth from various parishe
s.