[dehai-news] Mareeg.com: Somalia: Fighting erupts in Mogadishu, Islamists briefly seize police station

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 06:05:59 EDT

      Somalia: Fighting erupts in Mogadishu, Islamists briefly seize police station

      17.9.2008

      Gunmen attacked Somali police forces in Somalia's capital Mogadishu on Wednesday morning residents said, as Somali and U.S. officials vowed to work together to defend the airport from Alshabab threats

      "Fierce fighting went on for 15 minutes. I could hear sounds of heavy machine guns rattling in our village of Gulwadayasha," said a resident, who lives nearby, adding that fighting was so fierce it lit up the area.

      A witness said a young girl was killed while another resident said he was wounded in the shoot out.

      "The insurgents opened fire at government forces holding defences outside a compound where the are staying sparking heavy clashes," another resident Yusuf Yare said..

      "The police were inside. Fighting ensued. Heavy fire was exchanged; one anti-tank rocket was launched by the insurgents."

      Islamic courts spokesman Sheikh Abdirahin Isse Addow told Mareeg online that they've killed eight soldiers in the fighting while two of their fighters were also killed in the fighting.

      Glory to God in the highest the Mujahidiin returned while they achieved their goal" Isse said.

      Else where the commander of the attacked troops Abduqadir Odweyn told Mareeg has denied Islamist's claims and he said that none of their soldiers were injured or killed, he also said that he wasn't know the causalities of the Islamists.

      "I saw a blood on a location they were staying but I don't know any causalities" Odweyn said.

      Elsewhere armed UIC forces have briefly captured the police station of Karan district, north of Somali capital after additional minutes of clashes later on Tuesday.

      The residents told Mareeg that the Islamists have driven the police forces out of the police station, but they've later pulled out from the area.

      Somali capital has experienced deadly different battles including civil war and political fighting for the last 18 yrs.