[dehai-news] What’s wrong with doing right

From: Samson Negassi (samson_negassi@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 17 2008 - 10:08:26 EDT

What’s wrong with doing right?

We said, we want to be free, free of colonialism
They said, we have no chance our future is grim
We asked ourselves if our future is doom and gloom
Our only choice was to fight and bring our freedom

They said, our fight for freedom was only a dream
We can never defeat the biggest army Africa has ever seen
They were very wrong, oh boy they were badly beaten
Eritrea made history the world has ever seen.

They said, we can never survive on our own
We said, we will never fall for your shallow scream
We have shown what we can do and will keep on going
Just do not interfere, leave us to do our own thing

Self reliance is the key to developing
Working for yourself making your earning
To think, implement and future planning
Was the aim no matter what others were saying.

Suddenly the whole world became interested
Even those who wrote us off seemed bemused
We started slowly building the primary need
Social justice, equality was our main road

How can this be? They wanted to know our secret
Why are they different from the other lot?
After all, this is Africa what have they got?
We have to stop them from hitting their target.

Shall we ignite ethnic and sectarian war?
Or shall we ignite war with their neighbour?
How about the issue of the border?
And use our puppets start trouble.

Only because we want to make our future bright
To make Eritrea a pleasant sight
Not to be dragged into the unnecessary fight
What’s wrong with doing right?

For us, by us, to us, was and is our theme
Bring everlasting success and fulfil our dream
Avoids dependency and assure misery will never happen
Build a strong future and blossom

When there is darkness we will bring light
We are always ready and stand for our right
Peace is our choice, but ready to fight
We have learned the hard way God/ Allah is on our side.

God Bless those who gave their life for Eritrea.

Awet N’Hafash.

Samson Negassi

Samson_negassi@yahoo.co.uk