[dehai-news] A weekend to remember.

From: Samson Negassi (samson_negassi@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 07:52:46 EDT

A weekend to remember.

Lee Valley Leisure centre in Edmonton was the venue. I had already printed the route to the venue from Google map on Thursday evening to make my life easier. I was, (as my family and friends were) looking forward to the UK Eritrean Festival 2008.  We set off from west London on Friday 29th September evening towards Edmonton N9. Around 7:00 Friday evening, London Streets are full of revellers and partygoers. Slow traffic around Euston was delaying our journey, but the brilliant music of Tesfalem ‘Quorchach’ and jokes of my friends was entertaining us and we did not take notice of the traffic.

This year’s Festival was going to be different from the previous years. We noticed this from the adverts that were published. It was held in an open place where people could camp overnight and with enough playgrounds for children, similar to Asmara’s Expo. Festival Eritrea is and has been the sign of Eritrean unity. Nine ethnic groups, but one heart. The united Eritrea.

Eritrea is and was abandoned by most of the outside world, but through the strong and visionary leadership, Eritreans have developed a spirit of confidence and self-reliance. The secret of this success is unity. Tribal division and sectarian wars have destroyed most parts of the world and Eritrea has refused to be dragged into that nightmare.

Why has this not been emulated by others? Why have other African nations chosen to be basket case of lethargy and poverty?

“Fear is one reason,” said one of my friends and he carried on to say, if you give-in to bullies, they could drive you into commuting suicide. They can tell you that you are useless and incapable, but strong mentality can help you repulse the bullies and that is exactly what is happening with Eritrea”.

“The problem is, these bullies are too big for Eritrea” interrupted my other friend.
“So what’s the choice?” asked my other friend. “Do we get bullied and become servants or keep on fighting?” The reply from me was “what have the those countries that gave in to the bullies achieved? It’s seems that we are better off fighting and making a difference. Surely the bullies will give up and go away”.

We have already passed Old street in east central London and were on our way north towards Tottenham. The traffic was flowing smoothly.

I carried on to say, “we can clearly see what’s happening around us. Before we go further, let’s have a look at our neighbours. Ethiopia is unstable and embarrassment, because puppet thugs rule the poor country, Somalia has become a living hell because of outside interference, Sudan has the Darfur issue, Djibouti is a tool of the western world. The only stable country in the horn of Africa is Eritrea and this should be a prime evidence of resistance. Eritreans listen to advice, but decide for themselves.”

We stopped at a BP petrol station, near our destination to fill in some fuel and also to make sure we are going to the right direction.

“£1.13 a litre of unleaded? How can you afford driving?” asks one of my friends. “I don’t use the car as often.” I replied. “Yep. We have to come up with ways of dealing with this credit crunch.” He continued. “We have to walk if we have to.” “Forget it, I would rather cycle. Healthy way travelling.” I replied. We asked the cashier at the station, if Lee Valley Leisure centre was near there and he confirmed by pointing to his left.

We drove another five minutes and reached our destination. The Eritrean Flag was waving high on one of the poles in the car park. The car park was nearly full and it took us another two minutes finding a space.

The place looks beautiful, with Eritrean flags waving. Children playing, young men and women standing by groups and chatting away. Fathers and mothers with their cultural outfit. First aid centre, media centres, exhibition centre, EYAUK centre, Young PFDJ centre. Adi Begio centre, ‘Bar Badme’ and ‘Hade-Libi’ hall. We walked around and we could see the volunteers working with smiles on their faces. I was impressed and happy to see young women and men taking charge. A real sense of festival.
By the time we got there, the opening ceremony was already underway. Guests from the UK government and other nationals were enjoying the cultural show. The show of United Eritrea. One country, one nation, one heart and one Eritrea.

Saturday 30th August

It was sunny and beautiful day. Children were exited. Some with their sport kits looking forward to participating in artistic, sports competitions and different traditional ethnic shows. Young men and women preparing for the youth discussion forums, seminars, fashion show and cultural exhibitions. When you stand aback and watch this from distance, it mesmerises you. Glory to the Eritreans who gave their lives freeing and defending Eritrea. Your martyrdom has brought happiness and you will always be remembered.

Approximately 300 meters away was ‘Meda Sawa’ a fantastic venue for sport activities. Football, Running, Volleyball, Basketball etc. We could see a group of young Eritreans setting up the football field, teams getting ready and children running around. I asked one young boy what he is doing and he passionately replied, “ I will play football and run 100 meters.” I asked him if he is a good footballer and he replied with a big smile saying “Yes and I am a good runner.”

We went back to ‘One Heart’ or Hade Libi hall. “Menisey.. Gena iyu zelo” the brilliant song of Wedi’Tikabo from the Neby CD is echoing. Tea, coffee and himbasha were being served in ‘Badme Bar’. Chairwoman of the National Union of Eritrean Women, Ms. Luul Gebreab and Mr. Tesfamichael Gerahtu Eritrean ambassador to Great Britain were walking around observing the activities and talking to volunteers. The elegant Luul Gebreab and the humble ambassador Gerahtu looked happy and satisfied. Job well done was the message on their faces. It should satisfy them. This is what they fought for. The existence of the sacred Eritrea. And now they are working hard to transfer the visionary leadership to the coming generation. The existing generation looks promising. Eritrea is producing diligent citizens. They assure the existence of Eritrea will live forever.

When I looked around, I could see children with their faces painted with a well-done Eritrean flag. “Who painted your face?” I asked the little girl near me and she said, “go over there and they will paint your face.” I asked her what the painting on her face was and she replied with a smile “the flag of Eritrea.”
The blue colour of our marine wealth, the red colour of our blood, the green colour of our agriculture and livestock and the yellow colour of our mineral wealth.
I could see a couple of Eritrean young woman painting children’s faces. They were so busy that they didn’t take notice of me and I did not want to disturb.

I moved on to the other side, ‘Adi Begio centre attracted my attention. I walked in and there was pictorial exhibition of Eritrean developments. Picture of water reservoir, factories, farmlands and other developments in Eritrea. Miraculous work of Eritrean people. I came out and could see YPFDJ centre on my left. There was a big poster of Eritrean fist. The fist of Victory and resistance. I made my way there and activities of YPFDJ London conference 2007 were being shown on DVD. T-shirts of Eritrean festival, and CDs were on sale. Young People For Democracy and Justice were busy with their voluntary work. A visionary work of Eritreanism.

I made my way back to ‘Meda Sawa’ to follow the sport activities. The football pitch was ready and the game was underway. The children section was an absolute joy to watch. There were teams called Warsa, Wedeb and Adulis. Skills and passion of the kids was simply brilliant. I moved on to the adults’ side. ‘Smret was playing Adulis A. Honestly some of the skills I saw there, I have not seen in the premiership. The game was physical and full of passion.
On the other side by the running track, athletes were getting ready to run 100 meters and they were being given instructions by the organisers.
Firs aiders were on standby to deal with any injuries. There was enough water on the side in case of dehydration. The whole organisation was impressive and the helpfulness of the organisers was exemplary.

Sunday 31st August

We arrived there at around 11:00. It was a cloudy morning, but then this is London where there is inconsistant weather. We met one lady who spent the night there and asked her how it was and she replied with a big smile, “we had a great time in the tents. There was so much laughter and warm atmosphere and we enjoyed is so much.”
The place was quiet. We expected it to be any way. After last night, people would be tired and would have a lie in. “Breakfast?” my friend. “I would love Himbasha” I replied. We made our way to the ‘Badme Bar’ and we were told hot drink was not ready.
“The first hiccup in the festival so far” I said.
“Patience” my friend replied with a bit of sarcasm. “Don’t be like those whiners,” he continued. “Who are the whiners?” I asked. He replied “ Like those who talk the talk, but never walk the walk.”
I asked, “are you saying I am not allowed to complain?” and his reply was, “if you are, then you have to be prepared in bringing solutions.” I could not argue with that and chose to wait patiently.

One thing that stuck in my mind was the dedication and enthusiasm of all the volunteers, particularly the youth. They were the solution finders and they do what they do for the love of Eritrea. The care and positive attitude is an example to many Eritrean youth.
As Yohanes Tiquabo (Wedi Tiquabo) said, and translated by Haile Buokre

“Our cherished youths Have passed all the night away
With our gallant martyrs.
It is still a day break
It is still a day break
Let’s awake
And take
And make
The best use of it
By following a foot trace
Of our martyrs.”
Only we will be rewarded for it.

Overall, the experience of the two and half days was a real pleasure. The fashion show, sport, music, graduation ceremony and other activities were organised fantastically.
Congratulations to all those who worked hard so we can have a weekend to remember. Your good work will be engraved in the history books.

I look forward to next years’ festival and I will be a solution finder then.

God bless the Eritrean Martyrs.

Awet N’Hafash.

Samson Negassi,
Samson_negassi@yahoo.co.uk