[dehai-news] (NT) U-17 Championship: Rwanda vs Eritrea or Tunisia in the next round

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Wed Aug 27 2008 - 09:46:31 EDT

Wednesday, 27th August 2008

U-17s up for Sudan clash

BY JULIUS MBARAGA

Kalisa warns against complacency after Kenya win

After seeing off Kenya in the preliminary round of the 8th Africa U-17
championship qualifiers, the U-17s are now plotting for a replica show
against Sudan.

This Saturday, the U-17 team is away to Sudan in the first round
qualifiers and local soccer governing body Chief Executive officer Jules
Kalisa knows that the youngsters are up for a crunch tie.

“This is a big game for the boys. Sudan is a big team with a good record
in the region (Cecafa),” he conceded.

Rwanda qualified for the first round after a 4-3 goal aggregate cushion
over Kenya but Kalisa has warned the U-17s not to rest on their Kenya
laurels.

After being held to a 2-2 draw in the first leg that was held in Kigali,
the U-17s sent the Kenyans packing after a humiliating 2-1 win in
Nairobi.

However, with just two days left before the first leg qualifier, Kalisa
has warned the team against complacency.
“Kenya is a closed chapter and this is a new challenge which we have to
take very seriously.

“We know that we should have the same determination as we had in the
preliminary round. We’ll come up against a tough rival who’ll be going
all out to put on a good showing in front of their own fans,” he warned.

The squad has been training in Frankfurt, Germany for the past two weeks
and is expected to fly to Addis Ababa tonight before connecting to
Khartoum Tomorrow.

The game will be officiated by Eyob Emanuel of Eritrea.
Should Rwanda progress to the next stage, they will either play Tunisia
or Eritrea in the second round qualifiers.

The 8th African U-17 Championship is set for next year in Algeria.

Team- Heriman Ngoma, Jean Marie Rukundo, Patrick Rutayisire, Amani
Uwiringiyimana, Annuar Daddy Kibaya, Djamar Mwiseneza, Ernest Kwizera,
Christian Uwumukiza, Emery Mvuyekure, Bonfils Twahirwa, Michael
Hitimana, James Tubane, Abdurkarim Gashugi, Emmanuel Sebanani, Jean
d’Amour Uwimana, Ismaël Habumugisha, Jean Claude Iranzi and Emmanuel
Habinshuti-Habimana
Michael Weiss (coach), Yves Rwasamanzi (assistant coach) Calliope
Kabarisa (goal-keeping coach)

Officials: Boniface Nsabimana (delegation head), Alfred Ngarambe (Team
manager).

Ends

http://www.newtimes.co.rw/index.php?issue=13635
<http://www.newtimes.co.rw/index.php?issue=13635&article=9014>