[dehai-news] (Shaebia.org) Disappointment-turned-Euphoria from Beijing

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 08:30:46 EDT

Disappointment-turned-Euphoria from Beijing
Meron Abraha, Aug 18, 2008

In the afternoon hours of yesterday, Sunday August 17, 2008, Eritreans had
all eyes, and hopes for that matter, on the three Eritrean athletes,
Zerisenay Tadesse, Teklemariam Medhin, and Kidane Tadesse, who competed in
the men's 10,000 meters race at the Beijing Olympics.

Running along probably the world's top 10,000 meters runners, the Eritrean
athletes had the leading pace for more than half of the race. As Zerisenay,
his brother Kidane and Teklemariam, alternately took leading charges, the
commentators constantly repeated their names and the name of their country.

This fact however, was not well accepted by Eritrean fans here in Asmara.

"I knew it right from the beginning that they wouldn't make it to the top
three," said Adonay, a neighbor of mine as we watched disappointedly the
final results.

Instead of reserving their breath for a last dash, the three of them had
been running with all their might at least for the first 5,000 meters.

Being in charge of a group consisting some of the world's top runners might
have given a good recognition to Eritrea and its participating athletes, but
nonetheless, it deprived Eritreans the glory of bringing a medal back home.

During the last few laps, Zeresenay was still among the group that had shot
forward. That still emanated hope at least for another encore of his victory
at the Athens Olympics in 2004.

At the end of the race however, Zerisenay came in 5th clocking in at
27:05:11, outpaced by two Kenyans and two Ethiopians; while his brother
Kidane finished 12th with a time of 27:36:11. Teklemariam came in 32nd at
28:54:33.

Zerisenay was still within striking position at the end but just a second
late for a medal.

"It's true they had narrow chances for a medal and I think they tried their
best, but they should learn from this experience to score better in future
competitions," Abraham, a fan commented.

"I hope he maintains his 2004 position, if not a better place." This was the
optimism that people were expressing all day-long.

For the entire time the race lasted, along with the obvious apprehension,
there was also excitement on part of everyone watching, only to change into
disappointment later.

Nevertheless, Eritrea retains its bright future in athletics.