[dehai-news] (Reuters) Eritrea's Zersenay Tadese finishes fifth in Olympic final

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2008 - 15:49:08 EDT

Eritrea's Zersenay Tadese finishes fifth in Olympic final

By Balazs Koranyi

Published: August 17, 2008

Bekele retains 10,000 title

BEIJING: World record holder Kenenisa Bekele secured what he hopes will
be the first leg of the long-distance double when he retained his
Olympic 10,000 metres title with a devastating last lap on Sunday.

After tracking the lead for most of the race, Bekele let rip over the
last 400 metres to finish well clear of team mate Sileshi Sihine, who
also got silver behind him in Athens, while Micah Kogo snatched bronze
for Kenya.

Bekele's time of 27 minutes 1.17 seconds was an Olympic record,
bettering the time he set in 2004.

With either Kenyans or Ethiopians dictating a brisk but not lethal pace,
the lead pack slowly shed runners throughout the race. Only seven,
including all three Kenyans and Ethiopians started the final two laps
together.

The rapid closing speed was too much for Ethiopia's Haile Gebrselassie
and his bid for a third gold after triumphs in 1996 and 2000 fell short
as he fell back to sixth in the final 200 metres.

Gebrselassie, the marathon world record holder, has focused on the
longer event in recent years but opted for the 10,000 in Beijing due to
fears over air pollution

Bekele has said he hopes to race the 5,000 metres but would decide after
Sunday's race.

East African runners took the top seven places in the race and only
Eritrea's Zersenay Tadese, who finished fifth, managed to disrupt the
Ethiopian-Kenyan duel.

"It was very difficult for me. I pushed the race very hard but

he broke away and I didn't respond," bronze medallist Kogo told
reporters.

(Editing by Ed Osmond/Keith Weir)