[dehai-news] (Bloomberg) Somali Civilians Killed as Army, Islamists Clash in Mogadishu

From: Yemane Natnael (yemane_natnael@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 11:48:33 EDT

Somali Civilians Killed as Army, Islamists Clash in Mogadishu

By Hamsa Omar

           Aug. 5 (Bloomberg) -- At least 16 Somali civilians died
after fighting yesterday between Ethiopian and Somali government
soldiers and Islamist insurgents in northern districts of the
capital, Mogadishu, according to eyewitnesses and radio reports.

       The battle started when Islamist fighters fired mortars at
camps housing government troops. Four Islamist fighters were
killed, said military spokesman Colonel Dahir Mohamed Hersi, who
denied there were casualties on the government side.

       ``Two of our martyrs died in the battle and three others
were injured,'' Sheikh Abdi Rihin Isse Adow, a spokesman for the
insurgents, said yesterday evening in a phone interview. ``We
also killed six soldiers.''

       Ethiopian troops invaded Somalia in December 2006 to help
the United Nations-backed transitional federal government oust
an Islamic militia from southern and central parts of the
country. A June 9 preliminary cease-fire agreement calls for the
withdrawal of Ethiopian troops and their replacement with a
United Nations peacekeeping force.

       Following the battle, government shelling of Islamist
strongholds in the city killed civilians in the Huriwaa district
and Aladale village.

       ``A shell landed on my neighbor's home, killing two
children aged six and eight,'' Huriwaa resident Sadeek Jamal
said in a phone interview.

       Seven people were killed as they sheltered against a
building in northern Mogadishu, Radio Shabelle reported.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601116&sid=awpOJKxteUXY&refer=africa