[dehai-news] (Reuters) Israeli runner detained in Ethiopia

From: Yemane Natnael (yemane_natnael@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2008 - 14:35:14 EDT

ADDIS ABABA (Reuters) - A 53-year-old Israeli Olympic athlete
training in Ethiopia has been detained for allegedly taking money from
two individuals claiming he would arrange for their travel to Israel, a
police spokesman said on Wednesday.

Ethiopia-born Ayele Seteng, who finished 20th in the Athens marathon
and has been selected as Israel's only athlete in the Beijing marathon
next month, was arrested while he was training at high altitude.

"Ayele Seteng, an Israeli athlete with Ethiopian origin, is on his
way to Gondar, northern Ethiopia to answer charges brought against him
by two Ethiopians," Commander Demsash Hailu, spokesman for Federal
Police, told Reuters.

"The charges against him were that he took money from the two
Ethiopians with a promise that he would arrange their travel to Israel,
which did not materialize," he said.

Ethiopia was considering a request by Israel for Ayele's release under its guarantee, to be returned after the Beijing Olympics, a government source that wanted to remain anonymous said.

Sports minister Raleb Majadele told Israeli radio that the government would do all it could to intervene in the affair.

"We must intercede. We are not asking to do something for the
athlete and his actions, and what he's implicated in. We want to do
something for the sake of sport, for our league, and for the Olympic
Games.

"Therefore there is an obligation to get involved to ensure that
this matter is taken care of in the best way possible, and as soon as
possible."

(Reporting by Tsegaye Tadesse; editing by Miles Evans)

http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-Olympics/idUSL377578020080723