[dehai-news] (TS) Teacher's Eritrean odyssey a lesson in giving back

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 16:27:05 EDT

Teacher's Eritrean odyssey a lesson in giving back

BY JARED LYNCH, The Standard

22/07/2008 4:00:00 AM

SHE has been promised a flushing toilet in a country where water is
carted by donkey - Barb Kerr is ready for the time of her life.

The Cobden Primary School vice-principal will quit her job for two years
to teach impoverished African children.

She will journey to Eritrea, a tiny state by the Red Sea where most
people live on less than $US1 ($A1.19) a day.

Asked why she is doing it, Mrs Kerr's reply was simply: ``Because I
can.''

``I have lived a charmed life where I have been able to have everything
I have wanted and travelled  now it's time to give something back.''
Mrs Kerr fell in love with Africa when she visited the continent last
year.

The people were ``lovely'' and the countryside was ``spectacular'', she
said.

``It will be amazing. I don't think I will have any problems (living in
Third World conditions). Other people do it, so why can't I?''

Bordering Sudan, Eritrea has a colourful past, being an Italian colony
in the hands of neighbouring Ethiopia before increasing unrest led to
its independence in 1993.

It has no natural rivers or lakes and averages only 61 centimetres of
rainfall a year.

``It's a very dry place. I have been told water is carted by donkey and
promised a flushing toilet.'' Having taught Indonesian since 1996, Mrs
Kerr is looking forward to embracing the local language and customs.

``It will be tough. I'll miss my family and friends. But in these days
distance is nothing, with text messages and email.''

Mrs Kerr will leave in September.

<http://warrnambool.yourguide.com.au/multimedia/images/full/312341.jpg>

312341.jpg