[dehai-news] (Press TV) 150 Somali soldiers join UIC

From: Yemane Natnael (yemane_natnael@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 22:14:05 EDT

150 Somali soldiers join UIC
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:05:29

About
150 government troops have deserted their military bases in Somalia,
joining the fighters of the Union of Islamic Courts (UIC).

UIC fighter welcomed the soldiers, who believed they were misguided by the Somali government, a Press TV correspondent reported.

"Last year, the government selected 4,000 of us claiming they would
provide us with education..., but they forced us into bases before
arming us and coercively training us to destroy our nation," said a
19-year-old soldier.

He added that "we secretly delivered messages to (Al-Shabaab
spokesman) Robow Abu Mansuur asking them to target the bases so we can
seize the opportunity to join the UIC and Al-Shabaab (the military wing
of the UIC)".

The fighters enjoy strong popular support. They were removed from
power in 2006 following the onrush of the Ethiopian-backed Somali
troops. Violence has ever since taken its toll on the country.

Elsewhere 25 soldiers were found dead between Lego and the southern region of Lower Shabelle's Wanlaweyn town.

Meanwhile, at least seven Somali officials left the government
claiming, in a statement, that they were meant to work for their people
not 'the enemy of the nation'.

"I am ready to join the fighters to defend my country from the
devil named the Somali government" said one official who also accused
the administration of 'anti-Islamic' activities.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=64398§ionid=351020501