[dehai-news] (HC) Djibouti opposition denies asking Eritrea for help in toppling Djibouti's repressive regime

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2008 - 06:48:12 EDT

July 18, 2008

Press Release: Movement for Democratic Renewal (MRD) - Djibouti

Wednesday, July 9, 2008, the official media (Agence Djiboutienne
d’Information and Broadcasting of Djibouti) announced abruptly dissolved
by presidential decree of the Movement for Democratic Renewal and
Development (DSU), one of the major Djibouti Opposition parties.

The Agency wrote: "The Interior Ministry announced Wednesday the
dissolution by presidential decree of the opposition party" Movement for
Democratic Renewal (MRD) ", whose leader, Daher Ahmed Farah said DAF,
had" invited " the leader of Eritrea to "invade" Djibouti. "The assets
of the Movement for Democratic Renewal will be liquidated in accordance
with the provisions of its statutes or otherwise in accordance with the
provisions governing associations," says the decree.

This decision comes after the party leader, who lives in Brussels, sent
to President Issayas Afeworki a letter in which he invites him to
"invade the Republic of Djibouti and reach to National Independence, and
unity of the State ".

According to the mail whose ADI has been able to obtain a copy, DAF
reportedly told Issayas Afeworki that "the people of Djibouti lives
under the dictatorship of a head of state and a general cousins."Daher
Ahmed Farah had also requested the Head of State of Eritrea to "put an
end to this reign" so the opposition can finally "manage the country in
transparency". The Radio-Television of Djibouti (RTD) did the same in
similar terms.

In its edition of Thursday, July 10, 2008, the newspaper The Nation
announces to turn the news of the dissolution. According to that news
organization, which devotes its editorial to the subject and is not
stingy with its disdain towards the DSU and its president, we would have
failed in our obligations by "a press release dated July 6, 2008."

The presidential decree of dissolution, as published in the columns of
The Nation, which would decree dated July 9, 2008 but that the DSU has
not yet received, states: "The President of the Republic, Head of
Government Decrees:

Article 1 - I n accordance with Article 13 of Law No. 1/AN/92/2 L on
political parties in the Republic of Djibouti, the Movement for
Democratic Renewal, which invited the Head of State Erythréen to invade
the Republic of Djibouti, and to thereby undermining National
Independence, territorial integrity and security of the State is
dissolved.

Article 2 - The assets of the Movement for Democratic Renewal are
liquidated, in accordance with the provisions of its statutes or failing
that, in accordance with the provisions governing associations. This
decree, which applies immediately, will be published in official
gazette. Ismail Omar Guelleh, President of the Republic .

But nowhere does the document in question, which would have prompted the
decision to dissolve. The government media reported without publish it.
Moreover, the nature of that document varies from one organ to another:
Agence Djiboutienne d’Information (ADI) speaks of "letter to President
Issayas Afeworki" while he says he has a "release dated 6 July 2008
"according to The Nation.

In truth, the document in question does not exist. Quite simply. The
President of the DSU nor has written a letter or a press release
inviting the President of Eritrea, Mr. Issayas Afeworki, to "invade the
Republic of Djibouti, and to thereby undermining National Independence,
territorial integrity and the State security, and to end this reign. "
The allegations that one tries desperately to lend us are only the fruit
of the imagination decidedly without limits of the regime. And the
dissolution it is based is simply illegal and therefore unacceptable.

Moreover, realizing after the fact, that it is all sewn thread white,
the presidency is embarrassed to read a commentary on the antennas and
waves of RTD Thursday, July 10, 2008.

We ask the Djiboutians not to trust in senseless accusations and
arbitrary dissolutions, but the solutions to our problems are a state of
democracy, development and peace, capable of providing its citizens with
decent living conditions and a national project for the future, this is
an emergency. A vision and a will, this is the way.

It is the inalienable right of our people. It is the unshakeable sense
of our struggle. We invite our brave militants and sympathizers not to
respond to provocations. We invite them to remain calm and mobilized. A
party is made up of women and men, not the arbitrary prince.

The struggle continues.

Mouvement pour le Renouveau démocratique et le Développement
Cité Poudrière Avenue Nasser
Tel : 34 23 99
BP : 3570
Djibouti