[dehai-news] (MO) DJIBOUTI: ARS accuses Ethiopia of violating peace accord

From: Biniam Haile \(SWE\) (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2008 - 08:08:14 EDT

ARS condemns massacres being carried out by Ethiopian troops

Sunday 13 July 2008, Mareeg Online

The Alliance for the Re-liberation of Somalia (ARS) has condemned what
it termed massacres being carried out by Ethiopian and government forces
in Mogadishu's Daynile District.

The ARS said these violate the Djibouti accord.

In a media release issued from Djibouti Friday, the ARS condemned
yesterday's killings in Daynile District.

Members of the ARS based in Djibouti called on the international
community not to turn blind eye on the issue and take stiff action
against Ethiopian troops who were carrying out massacres in Mogadishu.

The ARS said that it was a tragedy that the Ethiopian and Somali
transitional governments had joined hands in the massacre of civilians
in Daynile District.

The ARS's remarks come following Somali soldiers have shot dead at least
8 civilians in Deynile neighborhood north of Somali capital Mogadishu.

Witness Mohamud Ahmed Toshow said the soldiers shot dead the civilians
they suspected as islamist fighters.

The soldiers, he said, then opened fire in the direction of bystanders,
killing at least 8 civilian passers-by outright.

Hassan Nur a resident in Deynile, said six people died at the spot while
the other one died on his way to the hospital.

"It was a horrific scene, blood scattered everywhere," said witness
Yusuf Haji. "I saw the dead bodies of at least 6 people lying in the
middle of the road."

Yasin Abdulle said 12-year-old was among those shot. "He was a
peace-lover. ... Why was he killed?" he wept.

"If the international community does not push the soldiers to stop such
wicked acts, the remaining Somalis will die before their eyes."

Speaking to Mareeg online after the incident the commissioner of Deynile
neighborhood Moqtar Hassan Addow has described those were killed by the
soldiers as "Insurgents"

"our soldiers killed their enemy' we killed no civilians I am in no
doubt that" he said.
Some residents identified some of the deceased as wee-known residents.

 By: Abdi Guled

Email: naasir0513@hotmail.com