[dehai-news] EAAA: Eritrean Athletes in the XXIX Olympiad

From: DESALE YACOB (ydesale@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 12 2008 - 10:54:39 EDT

Eritrean Athletes in the 2008 Beijing Olympics

This year Eritrea will be sending a number of athletes to the Beijing Olympics. The athletes slated to participate in the 29th Olympiad are the Olympic silver medalist in the Zersenay Tadese, the veteran Olympian Yonas Kifle, Yared Asmerom, Tesfahannes Mesfin, Ali Abdela, Haile Wolday, the veteran Olympian Nebyat Habtemariam, Semret Sultan, and last but not least Teklemariam Medhin and Kidane Tadese. Cyclist Daniel Teklehaimanot, will also be representing Eritrea in the Beijing Olympics.

Teklemariam and Kidane were the last two to qualify for the upcoming Olympic games in China. Kidane Tadese is expected to take part in both the 5000m and 10,000m events making him the only Eritrean athlete who will be participating in two different events.

Kidane is looking forward to line up with his older and world class athlete Zersenay. The most recent track and field events that Kidane participated in have proven his prowess and unlimited potential. He participated in a 5000m competition this past June and came in third with a time of 13:13.17. That race qualified him for the 5000m in Beijing. Two weeks earlier on May 31st, he qualified for the 10000m after he placed first and registered a time of 27:06.16 in Belgium.

Teklemariam Medhin qualified for the Beijing Olympics after he ran the 10,000m race in 27:46.50 and ranked third in Paris on June 6th. He, like Kidane, started running in 2004. What makes his story even more impressive is the fact that he only run in two 10,000m races one being in the Sudan and the other in Eritrea. His Paris performance on June 6th was very heroic and deserving of our accolades. By qualifying for the 10,000m race in the Beijing Olympics, Teklemariam will have an opportunity to shine and represent his country alongside the Tadese brothers.

In less than one month from now the games of the XXIX Olympiad will officially begin and the world’s attention will be focused on the Chinese capital Beijing. As we have all done in the past, even when we had no personal stakes, we will be glued to our TV screens to witness humanity at its best. We will cheer for athletes who hail from the same city streets and villages that we hail from. The cyclist that we have adored and watched in the beautiful avenues of Asmara will be competing against the best of the world on the streets of China. The tracks of the main Olympic stadium, the Bird's Nest, will be graced by Eritrea’s best runners. Our support of the athletes is very important and we have no doubt that they will make us all proud.

Please visit the official website of the Beijing’s Olympics at the following link.
http://en.beijing2008.cn/

Eritrean American Athletics Association (EAAA)
July 12, 2008
Making the world a better place one message at a time.
http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_BetterPlace