[dehai-news] (Al-Ahram) Letters from Eritrean readers

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2008 - 08:29:52 EDT

10 - 16 July 2008
Issue No. 905 Readers' corner
------------------------------

  <http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2008/905/_lett.htm>
Home for lunch

*Sir--* Anti-Eritrea imperialist verbiage of the US State Department is just
being repeated ('Eritreans on the run' 3-9 July). Shedding crocodile tears,
the department has alleged in its recent statement, "Given the increasingly
repressive nature of the Eritrean government, Eritrean citizens are in grave
danger of persecution, including torture, upon their return." Nothing could
be further from the truth. I am writing this letter from Asmara, the capital
of Eritrea, and I can firmly attest to the fact that the first batch of the
returning Eritreans from Egypt (750 in all) have been warmly received by
their families and the government of Eritrea. I know this for a fact, as one
of the returnees is my cousin, and I just had dinner with the whole family
at my uncle's home.

*Harnet Abraham
Asmara
Eritrea*
------------------------------
Sweat or blood?

*Sir--* 'Eritreans on the run' is an insult to readers, especially young
Eritreans like myself.

Some young and innocent Eritreans may have been fooled by certain vultures
and parasites called "human traffickers" into thinking the grass is greener
on the other side of the fence. But unlike some in African countries, no
Eritrean fights over prices or loafs of bread for sure. In fact, some of
these "young and innocent Eritreans" stow away their precious belongings
(shops, cars, bikes) just to migrate. So please do not make it like
Eritreans are escaping persecution or fleeing on grounds of human rights
abuses.

Please check Eritrea TV and tell me if you see streets soaking with blood
from tortured returnees or streets soaking with sweat from returnees dancing
all night from the joy of being home sweet home at last.

By the way, Eritrea is not "at war with Ethiopia and Djibouti".

*Feven Hadish
Asmara
Eritrea*