[dehai-news] Eritrea points Africa in the right direction by Nordic African News

From: YPFDJ Media & Info (media@youngpfdj.com)
Date: Mon May 30 2011 - 06:36:01 EDT

Eritrea points Africa in the right direction

http://www.nanews.net/MAIN.asp?ID=4502
<http://www.nanews.net/MAIN.asp?ID=4502>

For those who desire to see a more progressive, stable and rich Africa, the
sole choice is self-reliance. This school of thought wants African countries
to take a serious look at how the dependence on foreign hand-outs is a
primary cause of the continent's current state of misery.

An African nation which has seen this truth and took a strong decision to
shun foreign dependence and do everything on its own is Eritrea. This tiny
nation on the east coast of the continent, through out its short life, has
implemented a meaningful policy of depending on itself.

Although this admirable affinity to self determination and self-reliance has
landed the young nation in the bad books of others, Eritreans are
persevering. And they are doing it with pride. These proud people recently
took off time to bask in the glory of their achievements and threw colorful
20th Independence Day bashes at home and abroad.

One of these celebrations took place in Stockholm, Sweden's capital on May
21 and was well attended by the sizable Eritrean community, diplomats plus
friends and well-wishers of Eritrea.

During the colorful occasion, I talked to the Charge d'Affaires of the
Eritrean Embassy in Sweden Yonas Manna Bairu. Mr. Bairu, smartly dressed in
his country's national attire, spoke confidently about the fact that Eritrea
has maintained its integrity and liberty.

He also mentioned that the last 20 years have been a tough struggle but that
the new nation has made tremendous progress.

"Eritrea is far ahead of most African countries in meeting the United
Nations' Millennium Development Goals," he said and added that "we did all
this on our own."

"It is not that we don't need help. But any help must be done with meaning,
in terms of development for the country and the people," he said.

Mr. Bairu knows why Eritrea has been successful and has been described in
many quarters as shinning the torching of self-reliance on the continent:
"Our biggest asset is our people, not the natural resources we are beginning
to exploit. There's remarkable harmony in the people."

He noted that Eritreans have developed a sophisticated sense of harmony and
camaraderie because of the difficult times they have endured. The small
country fought colonialism for thirty years before winning independence in
1991.

Eritreans, he added, are peace loving people who are interested in the
development of their country and the region in which it is located. This is
why the United Nations Security Council's sanctions against the country
bother them. "All Eritreans are laboring to make the UN Security Council see
its mistakes and make a redress," the diplomat averred.

"The country can go a long way if given the chance. Despite all the
difficulties, we have achieved a lot. We can be an example in not only
Africa but the developing world." Mr. Bairu spoke confidently.

He offered praises to the National Holidays Coordinating Committee, headed
by Alem Teklegiorgis, and all Eritreans for putting up a fantastic show on a
very special occasion. He also recognized the efforts of friends of his
country who have been relentless in their support to the young nation.

The 20th independence anniversary celebrations in Stockholm, which climaxed
with a Manifestation of National Dignity in the city center on 24 May,
kicked off with a sports meet whose winners were given trophies during the
Saturday 21 May program, at which time more than a hundred Eritrean
graduates from Swedish educational institutions were given flowers for their
accomplishments.

Other features at the program were theatrical performances highlighting
Eritrea's amazing fight for freedom and its enormous promises. These
exciting displays caught the attention of thousands of attendees. Popular
Eritreans musicians from Germany, Eritrea and Sweden showed their juice.

The celebrations were indeed a special time. And other African nations can
learn a lesson or two from their brothers and sisters in Eritrea.

<https://picasaweb.google.com/mediaYPFDJ/StockholmEritrea20YearsOfPrideCeleb
ration?feat=flashalbum#5610030150755546850> See photos from the celebration
in Stockholm