[dehai-news] Yohanna to all Eritreans across the world

From: Fenan Russom (fenan.russom@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 19 2011 - 13:43:31 EDT

Over the last 20 years I’ve learned that the richness of my life lays in my
identity and history. The mere ability to say “I Am Eritrean” is not only a
privilege but a blessing at heart. Our history is inextricably linked to
our identity. If we don’t know our history then who are we?

In today’s hectic, fast-paced, consumer-driven society, it’s common to lose
the sense of unity, identity, and belonging. As young Eritreans living in
the Diaspora we are often tested and distracted from identifying with our
Eritrean roots. Forced to assimilate to our surroundings, we often find
ourselves identifying with how society and western civilization perceive us
to be rather then embracing the rich culture that defines who we truly are.
If we resist embracing our culture, reading and learning our history, how
will we ever acquire deeper insights into who we really are? The things most
worth reading are precisely those that define our identity. It's only when
we silence the blaring sounds of others falsified opinions that we can hear
the whispers of truth that our history reveals to us.

Most foreigners often wonder what’s so great about Eritrea that so many
people are so keen about it? They can never understand the magnitude of the
Eritrean people’s unification despite our differences. Yes we are made up of
nine different tribes, Yes our population constitutes 50% Christians and 50%
Muslims, Yes We have differences of opinion when it comes to governance,
but one thing that we all have in common is the everlasting love and care
for our country. Our independence has always been equal, our dependence
mutual and our obligation reciprocal.

There is no dignity quite so impressive, no one’s sovereignty quite so
important as the Eritrean liberty. The declaration of independence for
Eritrea and the sovereignty of its people was drawn by the ingenious and
philosophic ballpoint of the Eritrean people as a whole. I’ve always been an
avid believer that Eritrea’s greatest weapon has always been and still is
its people. The Eritrean revolution was always in the minds and hearts of
its citizens, the radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments and
affection for their country was what got Eritrea the freedom it deserved. Our
persistence in spite of all barriers, discouragement and impossibilities is
what has kept our sovereignty and freedom from the control, influence,
support, aid, or the like of others. History has demonstrated once again
that Eritrea’s notability is irrefutable.

20 years later we are all in a different state of our lives, the signs of
love may vary: dependence, contentment, worry, grief, but at the heart, the
source is always the same. Eritrean’s have the rare capacity to connect with
each other against all odds. As we celebrate Eritrea's 20th anniversary,
take the time to educate someone about our remarkable journey, our rich
history. Let the world and the people that surround you know that we
Eritreans enrich the dream of unity, and it’s through unity that we’ve been
able to create history. Tell them that We are the unknowing transformers of
things, protected by our harmony and love for our country.

* *

*Yohanna to all Eritreans across the world*

*Looking forward to 20 more years of prosperous life for our country!!*

--

"Be the change you want to see in the world.”

~ Mahatma Gandhi~