[dehai-news] (Competitor) Meb Says Marathon Double Reward Worth The Risk

From: Biniam Tekle (biniamt@dehai.org)
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 07:38:47 EDT

http://running.competitor.com/2011/04/news/meb-says-marathon-double-reward-worth-the-risk_26232
Meb Says Marathon Double Reward Worth The Risk
Published: Apr 29th 2011 4:08 AM UTC by News

Meb Keflezighi will be running a marathon double with just 69 days of
separation. Photo: Photo Run.net
He says the key is to stay healthy.

New York City has been kind to Olympic silver medalist Meb Keflezighi. He
won the marathon there in 2009, ending a 27-year drought of American
victories. Earlier this week, the Eritrean-born U.S. citizen announced that
he will return to the Big Apple in this year’s edition.

This would not be a big surprise were it not for the fact that just 69 days
after New York are the U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials.

But Keflezighi is not concerned about the proximity of the races.

“The key is to stay healthy, but that’s always my challenge because I push
the envelope anyway,” he said.. “It doesn’t matter whether it’s one marathon
a year, two marathons a year, or four in 13 months, like when I did Chicago
’03, the Trials, Athens (Games), and New York ’04. I just have to do a lot
more therapy and work on the small details.”

In 2004, Keflezighi ran two marathons apart when he ran in the Olympics and
at New York. In both races, he came in second place.