[dehai-news] (Goal) Kenya U-23 team disbanded after embarrassing defeat against Eritrea

From: B-Haile (eritrea.lave@comhem.se)
Date: Fri Apr 22 2011 - 02:06:26 EDT

Kenya's U-23 team disbanded after embarrassing defeat against Eritrea

The youngsters lost 4-1 in Eritrea in the All Africa Games first round.

By M.J. Somoni

Apr 21, 2011 9:00:00 PM

Football Kenya Limited has disbanded the Kenya Under-23 team and relieved their coach Bob Oyugi of his duties after the youngsters lost 4-1 to minnows Eritrea in an All Africa Games first round, first leg qualifier in Asmara on Sunday.

"We are replacing the coach and forming a new team," FKL technical director chairman, Hussein Swaleh told the Daily Nation.

"Our best players in this age category were not used. I do not understand why the coach did not use these players," Swaleh said.

Oyugi fielded players from the National Youth Talent Academy for the important assignment while disregarding players in the Kenyan Premier League and those already capped by the national team Harambee Stars like Kevin Omondi, Collins Okoth and Abdullatif Omar.

Prior to departing to Asmara a confident Oyugi said, "We prefer to do things quietly and have been preparing for a long time away from the eyes of the press and the public. These players have enough exposure and talent to get results in Eritrea."

When asked about the curious absence of players from Kenya's top league Oyugi responded, "I prefer to work with players for at least two to three weeks. KPL clubs wanted to give me their eligible players for just two to three days. That was unacceptable to me. I do not work that way. These players are better than many in the KPL."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/89/africa/2011/04/21/2452126/kenyas-u-23-team-disbanded-after-embarrassing-defeat-against