[dehai-news] Alebu: From Nothing to Everything

From: samuel Igbu (ypfdjbc@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 14 2011 - 18:18:44 EDT

 Friday, 01 April 2011 08:13 | Written by Efrem Habtetsion | [image:
PDF]<http://184.154.228.7/%7Eshaebia/index.php?view=article&catid=35%3Alocal-a-intl-news&id=157%3Aalebu-from-nothing-to-everything&format=pdf&option=com_content&Itemid=41>
 [image: Print]<http://184.154.228.7/%7Eshaebia/index.php?view=article&catid=35%3Alocal-a-intl-news&id=157%3Aalebu-from-nothing-to-everything&tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=&option=com_content&Itemid=41>
 [image: E-mail]<http://184.154.228.7/%7Eshaebia/index.php?option=com_mailto&tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovLzE4NC4xNTQuMjI4LjcvfnNoYWViaWEvaW5kZXgucGhwP29wdGlvbj1jb21fY29udGVudCZ2aWV3PWFydGljbGUmaWQ9MTU3OmFsZWJ1LWZyb20tbm90aGluZy10by1ldmVyeXRoaW5nJmNhdGlkPTM1OmxvY2FsLWEtaW50bC1uZXdzJkl0ZW1pZD00MQ==>
  shaebia main

My childhood memory of crossing the Gash Barka region (1993), back then Gash
Setit, was an exhausting one. Because, we drove the whole day and night from
Tesseney to reach Keren; the road was uncomfortable. The natural shape of
the land, except for the road and the bridges built during the Italian
colonization, had maintained its natural structure at that time. Most of the
towns located on the way were small, with limited service rendering
institutions—and with very limited infrastructural works.

Now it was difficult for me to bring back those old memories; because I
couldn’t see what I saw some years back. Everything has totally been
changed, for the best of course. I stayed for a few days in Alebu in 1996,
on my visit to a relative, a returnee from Sudan. It was a small village
with scattered traditional houses, huts, and a few livestock. The people
used to live on the economic assistance they received from the Eritrean
Refugees Association (ERA). And they had those major problems of basic
services, especially potable water.
At the present, Alebu has become or has started the journey of becoming an
industrial center. People now don’t think about what they would have for
their meal of the day; they are able to run vast farming activities
benefiting from the diversion canals built for them by the Government. They
are encouraged to produce more of agricultural products because they have
the BanaTom and the milk processing factories. The milk processing factory,
although not fully operational, has the capacity of processing up to 30,000
liters a day.
BanaTom, the export oriented factory which processes banana and tomato, has
provided job opportunity for more than 300 people. At present the Factory is
processing about 5,000 quintals of tomato as per day.

Alebu Fresh water factory, 24-hour power supplying generators, animal food
processing factory, and dairy farm are some of the major industrial works at
the present and these alone indicate what the future holds Alebu. The once
scattered small hamlet is just starting on its journey to become a giant
national industrial center.
The name Alebu is a Tigre word which relatively means bare or has nothing.
Now, everything is there thanks to the endless endeavors of the Government.
Years back it was difficult to cross the Alebu stream during the rainy
season and I remember that it was one of the toughest parts of the
uncomfortable journey. Some were forced to stay for days when the rains were
heavy. Now, the construction of the Alebu Bridge has made it possible for
travelers to cross it at any time or season.
Most of the residents of Alebu are engaged in farming activities in the Gash
River basin in addition to their vast seasonal farming activities and some
lead nomadic life by raising all kinds of livestock. The farmers of Alebu
are the main sources of fresh milk to the towns around them. Every household
herds its own livestock, regardless their number, thus securing their milk
and meat needs. Having hot milk and yogurt at the traditional-styled snack
bars of Alebu are the favorites of many travelers.
Alebu is located in the Haikota sub-zone, where Eritrea’s armed struggle
started in 1961. Now, benefiting a-24-hour power supply from the recently
installed generators it is on a fast pace of development. The newly built
road that connects it with the Goluj subzone, another agricultural center,
also plays a central role for its progress.
Now, I have two quite different impressions of Alebu: Some years ahead I
will definitely have another and extremely fascinating one. Hopefully, see
you then.

--
Sincerely
*YPFDJ British Columbia Chapter*

- Our goal is to build a strong, conscious and patriotic youth movement.

Our purpose is:

- To raise the awareness and level of organisation of Eritrean youth to serve our nation - To reassert the identity, patriotism and unity of Eritrean youth - To promote the participation of Eritrean Youth in the national reconstruction of Eritrea as well as guarding the sovereignty of Eritrea - To enhance the position and influence of Eritrean Youth in their respective countries of residence.