[dehai-news] US Air Force C17 transport caught smuggling arms and drugs into Argentina

From: wolda002@umn.edu
Date: Tue Feb 15 2011 - 15:50:32 EST

US Air Force C17 transport caught smuggling arms and drugs into
Argentina<http://alethonews.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/us-air-force-c17-transport-caught-smuggling-arms-and-drugs-into-argentina/>

*Pagina/12 Report – February 14,
2011<http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/elpais/1-162332-2011-02-14.html>
*
http://alethonews.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/us-air-force-c17-transport-caught-smuggling-arms-and-drugs-into-argentina/

 *Translation by Aletho News:*

Argentina’s foreign ministry has issued a press release stating that it will
be making a formal protest over undeclared weapons and drugs brought into
the nation at Ezeiza last Thursday.

A manifest provided by the US did not list war materiel and drugs which were
seized by Argentine authorities.

Among the confiscated materiel were communications interception equipment ,
encrypted communications equipment, sophisticated GPS devices, high power
rifles, a machine gun and narcotics as well as a full trunk of expired
pharmaceuticals including stimulants. All boxes had the stamp of the 7th
Army Airborne Brigade based in North Carolina.

The Argentine government estimates the value of the goods and the C17
transport expenses to exceed $2 million.

The unreported contents also included an odd brochure with the phrase “*I am
a United States soldier. Please report to my embassy I have been arrested by
the country.*” translated into fifteen languages.

US documents described the shipment as intended for an Argentine government
approved Federal police training course.

Argentina reiterated that it does not wish for the internal security
practices of Rio’s favelas or El Salvador’s gangs to be the model for the
Argentine nation.

The Argentine government will be suspending the police training program.

Argentina’s ambassador to the US described the situation as “a shameful
embarrassment” before returning the cargo to North Carolina.

It is noted that any Argentine, civilian or military, who attempted to
smuggle weapons and drugs into the US would be arrested immediately.