[dehai-news] Shaebia.org: "Team Work Is Essential For Better Results"

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2011 - 15:25:18 EST

"Team Work Is Essential For Better Results"

She has written a
number of short stories, lyrics and articles. Her stories are fascinating
and inspirational. The way she reads has never failed to catch the attention
of her audience. Ariam Woldeab is a young and up-coming Eritrean writer.
Excerpts of an interview with her follows:

Q: Tell us about yourself:

I was born in 1989 in Himbol, Sahel. After independence we lived in Assab
for a while before coming to Asmara. Here, I attended elementary school in
Mrara, Junior in Fthi Junior School and I completed high school in Isaac
Tewledmedhin Secondary School. I went to Sawa to complete my national
service in the 20th round. Later, I studied Library and Information Science
and took commercial courses for a year.

Q: How did you start writing short stories?

When I was in third grade, our teacher nominated three students, including
myself, to recite poems and sing at the annual school closing ceremony. That
moment inspired me a lot and I learned that I could write my own poems.
Since then, I have written different poems and sent them to the local
newspaper. For a while I had stopped writing poems and shifted into dancing.
It was when I went to Sawa that I started acting and writing again.

Q: What kind of dancing did you dance?

I used to dance Tigrigna traditional dancing but I didn't continue it.

Q: Do you have any intentions of getting back to it?

No, I just want to keep on writing.

Q: What is your main artistic career then?

I love writing poems. I believe I can express my thoughts and feelings and
the beauty of things artistically. I think that's why I am interested in
writing poems.

Q: What are the major themes of your works?

My stories mostly talk about social life. I have also written short stories
based on true events. I also like to write stories about brave women. The
themes of most of my poems are however about love.

Q: I heard you also write lyrics.

Yes, I have written a number of them. I have given them to different singers
and most of them are yet to be released. For example, there is one that I
gave to a young singer, Shewit Gebrebrhan, which is going to be released
soon.

Q: What efforts do you make towards empowering your skills?

I don't stop writing. I write again and again. I communicate with well
experienced artists and attend as many courses as I can find. But, the only
thing that I don't exercise much is reading. I know it is the basic element
and I am trying to improve it.

Q: Talking about reading, I also heard that you have good oratorical skills.
How did you develop it?

It wasn't my intention to be a reader or to develop such a skill. It just
came out of nowhere. I don't even understand how it came. But, when I was a
child I used to imitate the voices of different journalists in the national
media. That may have had an influence. But since most of my audiences have
been encouraging to keep it up, I will try to do my best and develop it
further.

Q: Have you ever taken any courses (on literature)?

Yes, I attended three courses. There was a three-month course in Sawa, then
another four-month short story writing course that was organized by the
National Union of Eritrean Youth and Students (NUEYS) Zoba Maekel branch.
The third was two weeks' writing course sponsored by the Cultural Affairs of
the PFDJ.

Q: Have you ever participated in any competitions?

Yes, I have. I won the first prize in the competition held on the conclusion
of the short stories course. I also stood first in the 2009 Eritrean
festival poem reciting competition and second in the 4th Eri-youth festival
similar competition.

Q: Is there anyone who encourages you?

Basically, I was encouraged by the young and powerful artists I met in Sawa.
They were so creative and very promising writers. So, on top of my interests
in writing, I had their encouragement. My friends and my mom also played an
important role. Especially my mom, she introduces me to experienced writers
and artists.

Q: What's your future plan?

My vision is to be a great writer one day. I am planning to publish a
collection of short stories. I also plan to write film scripts, more lyrics
and articles.

Q: How far do you think you have come towards your vision?

Even though I have been writing for a long, I still haven't done anything
special. I am just in the beginning. I am sure that a lot of hard work
awaits me to reach my vision.

Q: What other courses would you like to take?

I would like to take more courses on short story and script writing
techniques. I also would also like to take film directing and music courses.
I love playing music and want to learn the violin.

Q: Any final comments.

Generally, art is something which deserves sacrifice. We don't have to do
art just for a source of income; we have to work hard if we are to leave
unforgettable works behind us. Experience alone is not enough. So, every
writer has to develop his/her own skills using different methods, such as
online courses, reading, sharing experience, and the like. Competing among
ourselves is not enough; we must try to produce best art products and
competitive at the national and international levels. And finally, since
team work is essential for better results I would like to call on all young
artists to work together.

image005.jpg