[dehai-news] A great 2011 start of Athletic VIctory for Eritrea by Zerisenay

From: Eaaa News (eaaa_news@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2011 - 20:47:30 EST

A great 2011 start of Athletic VIctory for Eritrea by Zerisenay   Even though the race was done on New year eve, the news of Zerisenay's vicotry of the 10000m in Spain came in the New Year !   It is a great start for the New Year and we congratulate Zerisenay for his splendid job as usual. May the year be blessed for all of our runners!   EAAA January 3rd, 2011 *************************** Eritrea's Zersenay Tadese Triumphs In Madrid Updated: Jan 3rd 2011 7:14 AM EST by News A big mistake by his rival allowed Tadese to win the race on New Year's Eve. Zersenay Tadese of Eritrea prevailed in the 46th 'San Silvestre Vallecana' in Madrid, Spain on New Year's Eve. Tadese, the world-record holder in the half marathon, ran a tactical race, edging out hometown favorite Ayad Lamdassem in the end. Tadese's winning time for the 10K race was 28:27. In the first half of the race, Tadese let others dictate the pace with the first three kilometers of 3:01, 5:52, and 8:41. It wasn't until the fourth kilometer that the dynamic changed. Sergio Sánchez of Spain opened up a gap, running a quick 2:47 fourth kilometer. However, by 5K, Sánchez was reeled in. At 15:30, Tadese took charge, moving to the front. By 9K, Lamdassem attacked, taking over the lead and gaping Tadese by seven seconds. Unfortunately for Lamdassem, with just 600m to go, he should have turned, but stayed straight. This mistake cost him the race. Tadese used the error to his advantage and caught up with the Moroccan-born Spaniard. He ended up with a nine-second margin of victory. "It's true that I'm not at my peak after the injury I sustained during the World Half Marathon championships but I think I would have won even without Lamdassem's mistake," said Tadese afterwards. WWW.IAAF.ORG