[dehai-news] Eastafro.com: VIDEO: The story of an Eritrean adult, Merih Abraham born on Eritrea's independence day (May 24, 1991)

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Tue May 25 2010 - 12:43:12 EDT

VIDEO: The
<http://www.eastafro.com/Post/2010/05/22/the-story-of-an-eritrean-youth-meri
h-abraham-born-in-eritrea%e2%80%99s-independence-day-may-24-1991> story of
an Eritrean adult, Merih Abraham born on Eritrea's independence day (May 24,
1991)

http://www.eastafro.com/Post/2010/05/22/the-story-of-an-eritrean-youth-merih
-abraham-born-in-eritrea%E2%80%99s-independence-day-may-24-1991

May 25, 2010

Merih Abraham, born on May 24th 1991, explains what it's like to share the
same birthday with Eritrea.

He says "it's like a double blessing, a joyous day". Looking back on the
fifth year anniversary independence celebration, Merih said he still
remembers his experience at Asmara stadium. There were two other kids who
shared the same birthday, and Merih remembers the breaking of Himbasha (an
Eritrean sweet bread) by president Afewerki, in honor of their birthdays.

Merih also remembers the late Abraham Afewerki, an Eritrean
<http://www.eastafro.com/Post/2010/05/22/the-story-of-an-eritrean-youth-meri
h-abraham-born-in-eritrea%e2%80%99s-independence-day-may-24-1991> music
icon, who was one of the stars entertaining the crowd at the stadium on that
day. Abraham was carrying little merih (then just 5 years old) during the
ceremony, and this was a special moment for Merih because he said he adored
Abraham Afewerki.

Five years later, on the tenth anniversary celebration, Merih found himself
on the same stadium celebrating with nine kids. He said, "it was ten of us
sharing the same birthday, and I had the opportunity to personally wish the
president a happy independence".

Merih grew up to be a young man and went on to fulfill his national duties
at Sawa. "I went to Sawa and was elected to be one of the marching bands on
the 18th anniversary". While at Asmara stadium during the celebrations, once
again, Merih had the opportunity to meet with the president. This time as a
young man in uniforms, saluting the president at the podium. He said "I
received a gift from the president on that day, as I approached the podium
to salute him".

After fulfilling his duties at Sawa, Merih was admitted to Mainefhi College,
where he is currently persuing his education.

Merih says "as you can see, May 24th is a very special day for me".