[dehai-news] Shabait.com: President Isaias' Address To the Nation On The Occasion Of the 19th Anniversary of Independence Day

From: Berhane Habtemariam (Berhane.Habtemariam@gmx.de)
Date: Mon May 24 2010 - 14:28:21 EDT

President Isaias' Address To the Nation On The Occasion Of the 19th
Anniversary of Independence Day

<http://www.shabait.com/news/local-news/1950-president-isaias-address-to-the
-nation-on-the-occasion-of-the-19th-anniversary-of-independence-day-?format=
pdf> PDF
<http://www.shabait.com/news/local-news/1950-president-isaias-address-to-the
-nation-on-the-occasion-of-the-19th-anniversary-of-independence-day-?tmpl=co
mponent&print=1&page=> Print
<http://www.shabait.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3d3dy
5zaGFiYWl0LmNvbS9uZXdzL2xvY2FsLW5ld3MvMTk1MC1wcmVzaWRlbnQtaXNhaWFzLWFkZHJlc3
MtdG8tdGhlLW5hdGlvbi1vbi10aGUtb2NjYXNpb24tb2YtdGhlLTE5dGgtYW5uaXZlcnNhcnktb2
YtaW5kZXBlbmRlbmNlLWRheS0%3D> E-mail

VIDEO: President Isaias Afwerki’s speech on the the occasion of the 19th
independence day (May 24, 2010)

http://www.eastafro.com/Post/2010/05/24/video-president-isaias-afwerkis-spee
ch-on-the-the-occasion-of-the-19th-independence-day-may-24-2010

Compatriots inside the country and abroad
Participants and Invited Guests
Ladies and Gentlemen
Congratulations! to the patriotic and stanch Eritrean people, as well as
partners and friends of Eritrea. Expressing my satisfaction on the occasion
of the 19th anniversary of Independence Day, I would like to extend deep
appreciation to those who organized this auspicious event and to the
Eritrean people who provided the celebrations special color, in addition to
the guests amidst us.

Ladies and Gentlemen

19 years do not constitute a long period in the life of independent
countries. Such a span of time is not that long in the process of building a
real sovereign and independent nation. However, if we look at the
accomplishments and developments that unfolded over the past 19 years no
doubt represent much more. The latter 12 years in particular witnessed great
accomplishments, taking into account the very trying challenges the nation
encountered. The same applies to the year that just ended.

Before proceeding to the main issues, let me begin with the accomplishments
in 2009. In this connection, I would like to refer to the so-called
“sanctions” maneuvers against the people and Government of Eritrea
disseminated recently.

The issue basically lacks any legality and is essentially designed to cover
up other main and fundamental issues, and thereby diverting matters to
meaningless direction through derailing the appropriate path. As such, the
people and Government of Eritrea dealt resolute rebuff both in letter and
spirit to the conspiracy. On top of that, we have officially challenged the
Security Council as regards: 1. What the accusation leveled against us is
all about? 2. Who the accuser or accusers are ? 3. Who the arbitrator or
judge is? What about its legal authority and methodology? 4. Why our right
to self-defense has not been respected? 5. Irrespective of the accusation,
its authors and their excuses, our right to self-defense in an independent
and just forum should be respected so as to ensure our determination to deal
with the issue on the basis of facts, legality and justice. And this because
we are well aware of the fact that there exists no accusation based on legal
ground, but rather a mere political gimmick deliberately resorted to on the
eve of specific holidays.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Hence, as you have just heard in the past few days, the TPLF, its masters
and collaborators have submitted their ‘accusations’ to the Security Council
in a surprisingly “devious” manner.

Basically, the whole issue is not about hollow and stale accusations, but
rather about a simple logic and legal methodology. This being the case, how
then or on what ground the Security Council adopted a resolution without any
accusation submitted to it and without verifying matters, if the so-called
accusations are the very rubbish ones just submitted? Is there any instance
of accepting accusation after already giving verdict? Doesn’t such a naïve
and contemptuous practice constitute a shame to the Security Council itself?
And what does the Council has to say on this?

Even though the drama amounts to putting the cart before the horse thus
becoming the sole accuser, witness, judge and police in the process, it
nonetheless contains nothing new but represents an incident that exposed the
bankruptcy of the vicious, accuser and liar parties. Moreover, it puts the
Security Council to shame through undermining its dignity on the one hand,
while placing the people and Government of Eritrea on high moral ground, and
thereby reinforcing the legal national resolute rebuff.

Ladies and Gentlemen

In view of the fact that referring to why all such shame and recklessness
leads to properly identify the problems and hence obtain correct
understanding, let me now proceed to the main issues at hand.

It is to be recalled that the border conflict was instigated and aggravated
12 years ago. Following a legal arbitration process involving massive
interference, a ruling was given in 2002, and still our sovereign
territories remain under occupation. If at all the Security Council stands
for respect to legality and the promotion of stability, besides advocating
respect of international law and the sovereignty of nations, as well as the
UN Charter, why then did it fail to ensure justice for us? Why the need for
keeping the issue in a stalemate, besides holding hostage both the Eritrean
and Ethiopian people, while at the same time exposing the Horn region to
turmoil and destruction? By the same token, why try to concoct baseless
allegations and excuses in a bid to cover up this fundamental issue? It is
crystal clear that the issue is a naked crime that does not call for any
profound analysis and one that could not deceive even naïve elements.

Nevertheless, the issue of sovereign Eritrean territories under occupation
is not to be viewed in isolation from the broader picture of the Horn region
and its developments. It is a well known fact that successive
administrations in Washington resorted to expose the region to a state of
continued turmoil and destruction, as part of their policy of crisis
management through appointing regional puppets. The instability and
destruction witnessed over the past 20 years fully attest to this fact. In
this regard, Somalia is a typical case in point in which these same quarters
exposed the Somali nation and its people to political chaos and civil
strife, including massive human loss and destruction of property for the
past 20 years. Moreover, direct foreign military intervention and invasion
gave rise to the massive displacement of Somali nationals resulting in
unimaginable adversity and inhumane crimes. Despite the continued attempts
to conceal the crimes being committed in that country, the prevailing sad
plight of the Somali people should be examined through an independent body
and thus bring the criminals to justice.

The political game of crisis management is not limited to Somalia only.
Based on the theory of indirect or substituted administration, successive
Washington administrations had tactically turned nations into the ownership
of special interest groups in a bid to obstruct peoples from achieving
progress and stability. Such political maneuvers and conspiracies on the
part of US Administrations and their agent regimes to set off domestic
turmoil in different countries is a crime not to be viewed lightly.

Ladies and Gentlemen

In the past 2 decades, particularly the past 12 years, on top of the illegal
occupation of our sovereign territories by the TPLF regime, endless economic
and political conspiracies, acts of open military aggression, media and
diplomatic smear campaigns have been waged against us. But the proud fact
remains that the people and Government of Eritrea, despite their limited
resources, kept on overcoming all the challenges that came their way and
emerged triumphant by all accounts. The growing frustration we see today on
the part of enemy quarters is thus a result of this steadfastness.

The acts of conspiracy and hostility through direct interference and proxy
in the Horn of Africa in general and Somalia in particular over the past 20
years did not only end up in utter failure but also aggravated from bad to
worse. In the wake of the failure of installing two so-called ‘transitional
governments’ in Somalia, the same forces are now trying to bolster up
“Islamists” which they drove out of Mogadishu in 2006 through giving them
regional and international cover. The situation of the current so-called
transitional government is also self-evident which constitutes another
failure.

The political, military, diplomatic and propaganda subsidies together with
the cover-ups and embellishments they make in an attempt to prolong the stay
in power of their agent regimes and cliques merely adds to their growing
frustration.

Taking into consideration these and other international conflicts, it would
not be difficult to discern the gravity of the problem and at the same time
the extent of the anxiety caused by the problem. Just as the Arab saying
goes "the excuse is far worse than the crime", it is the attempts to make
Eritrea the cause and victim of the failure of such misguided policies that
is an even worse crime.

Ladies and gentlemen

On similar occasion last year, I had stated that putting behind previous
injustices, Eritrea was ready for constructive engagement with the Obama
Administration, in consideration of the experience we had acquired over the
past 20 years and the promise of "change" by the new administration in
Washington.

Our proposed policy of constructive engagement did not mean that we would
recede into a passive state without taking any action. In pursuing such a
policy, we had sought to engage in a direct approach and not through
lobbying or mediators. It should be noted here that it requires apt
perception so that our practical initiative is not taken for granted or
gives rise to attempts of blackmail or manipulation.

Although it is too early in the day to make judgments, since the special
interests groups are clearly against any kind of change and seem to have
misinterpreted our initiatives for constructive engagement as compliance,
they continue to ambush and hinder such efforts. I will discuss the details
of these schemes on other occasions, but for now let me assure you that we
will not suspend our efforts for constructive engagement regardless of
obstructions.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Although I had set out to talk about our development plans and work frame
for the coming year on this occasion, in the interest of time I have focused
only on briefly explaining the issues I mentioned earlier and will postpone
the discussion of our programs for other occasions.

Generally however, we will make productive investments on achieving food
security, infrastructure development, provision of social services and
prioritized economic multipliers by augmenting our development fund as well
as strengthening implementing capacity. Similarly, plans are underway to
ease the external and internal factors that have contributed to the pressure
on the cost of living and quality of life. We will also implement different
projects that would bring about sustainable solutions throughout the
country.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Another matter that should be given due emphasis on this occasion is the
extensive and resolute demonstration of opposition by the Eritrean people
inside the country and abroad against the Security Council's 'Christmas Eve'
resolution on 23/12/2009. The determined displays of anger and opposition
that gradually developed into highly organized demonstrations by Eritreans
and friends of Eritrea made it clear in no uncertain terms the futility of
the attempts to disrupt Eritrea by creating rifts between the people and the
leadership or that the sanction will serve in instigating fear and mistrust.
On the contrary, it served in giving rise to strength and vigor that added
impetus to their pride and motivation. And I would like on this occasion to
express my wish that the entire Eritrean people as always reap their due
reward.

I am certain that next year this unyielding drive will with further
organization be able to overcome all kinds of challenges and register
particular success in realizing national development goals. This drive will
also be instrumental in boosting agricultural production aided by good
summer rains.

Glory to Our Martyrs!

Victory to the Masses!

Official celebration of 19th anniversary of Eritrean Independence Day
conducted in colorful manner

<http://www.shabait.com/news/local-news/1949-official-celebration-of-19th-an
niversary-of-eritrean-independence-day-conducted-in-colorful-manner-?format=
pdf> PDF
<http://www.shabait.com/news/local-news/1949-official-celebration-of-19th-an
niversary-of-eritrean-independence-day-conducted-in-colorful-manner-?tmpl=co
mponent&print=1&page=> Print
<http://www.shabait.com/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3d3dy
5zaGFiYWl0LmNvbS9uZXdzL2xvY2FsLW5ld3MvMTk0OS1vZmZpY2lhbC1jZWxlYnJhdGlvbi1vZi
0xOXRoLWFubml2ZXJzYXJ5LW9mLWVyaXRyZWFuLWluZGVwZW5kZW5jZS1kYXktY29uZHVjdGVkLW
luLWNvbG9yZnVsLW1hbm5lci0%3D> E-mail

Asmara, 24 May 2010 - The official celebrations marking the 19th anniversary
of Eritrean Independence Day was colorfully conducted today at the Asmara
Stadium in the presence of President Isaias Afwerki, Sudanese brothers,
senior Government and PFDJ officials, religious leaders and diplomats, as
well as thousands of citizens.

In a speech he delivered on the occasion, President Isaias congratulated the
patriotic and stanch Eritrean people, as well as partners and friends of
Eritrea. Noting that 19 years are not that long in the process of building
a real sovereign and independent nation, the President stated that the
accomplishments and developments that unfolded over such span of time,
especially the latter 12 years no doubt represent much more.

As regards the so-called “sanctions” maneuvers against the people and
Government of Eritrea, he underscored that the issue basically lacks any
legality and is essentially designed to cover up other main and fundamental
issues, and thereby diverting matters to meaningless direction through
derailing the appropriate path. As such, the people and Government of
Eritrea dealt resolute rebuff both in letter and spirit to the conspiracy,
the President elaborated.
http://www.shabait.com/images/stories/--------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------stadium1.jpg

Also in a speech he delivered on behalf of the National Holidays
Coordinating Committee, Mr. Zemhret Yohanes, Head of Research and
Documentation at the PFDJ, pointed out that May 24 occupies special place in
the nation’s history as it paved the way for new stage and a promising
future. He further indicated that the great Day reminds all Eritrean
nationals to redouble endeavors towards building a prosperous and strong
nation.

Various programs, including military parade, cultural and artistic
presentations, as well as calisthenics with the participation of students
featured during the occasion that was transmitted live through ERI-TV and
Dimtsi-Hafash.

image006.jpg